The Night of the Moon (Part 9)

Quay 32, along the waterfront was sparkling with lights, which were reflected in the Pacific ocean bordering the bay. Zubiya had never come to this part of the city and was quite enthralled with the romantic setting. Though she had not really wanted to spend Asfand's last evening being distracted by anything else other than him, she had given in to his cajoling because he seemed so keen on it. His voice on the phone had seemed so disappointed when she had gently vetoed going out that she had given in. How nice it felt to be cajoled. Even a serious and sober girl like her could not resist when she was treated like a precious treasure by someone.

They had planned to meet at this restaurant called "Jazz by the Bay" and she went in wondering if she had arrived too early, because she couldn't find him. The maitre'd ushered her in and when she asked for him pointed out a table in the far right corner right next to the water of the bay. She turned to look and there he was, sitting by the table looking out a bit pensively into the distant ocean. As she walked towards him, for the millionth time she thought no man had the right to look this good all the time. He was wearing an indigo blue turtle neck soft sweater with a black jacket and a strand of his hair fell very boyishly on his forehead. He stood up as she approached the table and an easy smile curved his lips as he looked at the girl he had been thinking about non-stop the entire day since he left her apartment. The simple long shift in red lace covered her from the neck down to her ankles, but the severity of the style was broken by the lace covering her shoulders and back showing tantalizing glimpses of the skin underneath. Her hair curled down one shoulder tidily. She looked so pretty and untouched that he immediately wanted to do something that would tell the world that she belonged only to him. There was something in his stare that made her feel hot and bothered and a little shy.

Asfand patted the sofa next to him and smiled knowingly when she tried to find a place on the circular sofa where she could place some safe distance between her and him.

A: "You know we could book you another table if you still want to put some more distance between us........( Zubiya nervously smiled)... You could sit there and I could sit here maybe ten feet away, if that makes you feel ......safe?

Asfand slid across the space to sit closer to her and said, "By the way, tumhe darr kis se lagta hai? Mujh se? ya khud se? "

Zubiya looked at him seriously and said,"dono se. par shayad ziyadah, apne se"

He laughed at her honest reply. And leaning on his arm on the table looked at her for a long time, running his eyes over her shoulders, the hint of skin under the red lace, which demanded to be peeled back, her bosom, covered under the shift severely and laughed when she scolded him in annoyance at the path his eyes were taking and snapped her fingers to bring his gaze back to her face.

A: " I just wanted to take a mental image, because its going to be ages when I see you again. "

Tomorrow hung heavy between them, a few hours and he would be gone. The thought she had been trying to deny, rose up like bile up her throat, threatening to overwhelm her. She wondered how she would cope after he had left. It was not as if they had spent a long time together, but even these few hours they had spent in the knowledge and acceptance of the fact that they loved each other, had changed them and the way they saw the future. The Zubiya she was and the Asfandyar he had been, in the beginning of the week, when they had faced each other across a gaggle of doctors in a lift, had both changed irretrievably over the course of the time they had spent with each other in the past five days.

Zubiya immediately slid over the sofa till she was sitting close to him and smiled through slightly tearful eyes, determined to make this evening special for him and for herself. Asfand reached forward to take her hand and held it in his own hands