Chapter 2

Anastasia dreamed of a man. The same man who had invaded her sleep many times since she was a child. Usually he was a teacher, or a friend or sometimes just a bystander who watched and never spoke as she continued to dream. Tonight she noticed what she had failed to recognize in her dreams before. This dream man had the most spiritual eyes. They seemed to look through her and knew who and why she was. Without a word spoken between them, she knew that he had been with her since she was born. Waiting for her not only in her dreams, but in her life.

Because it was a dream, all at once it seemed as if he was at her side, touching her, making her want him. She looked away and when she looked back he was right beside her in her bed. Pressed up against her as close as her own skin. She could smell the maleness of him. Could feel him breathe into her. His arms went around her as she realized they had held her forever. Though the feeling was comfortable, she knew it would never be enough.

Anastasia gazed into his eyes and a knowing smile spread across his lips. His hands moved from around her, to the surface of her skin, heating every inch of her. As he gently touched and caressed her, that alone brought her to the edge and kept her on the brink of ecstasy without ever falling over himself. Expertly his mouth was all over her body kissing and tasting, and taking and giving. As he carefully worked his magic, she fell off the cliff and tumbled into heaven. She didn't know how or why he held back because she could feel that his want was as strong as her own and she loved him for it. But it was enough for her to know that it was only a portent of things to come between them. It was as if they had been together since the beginning of time. And she drifted back into the deep sleep of a satisfied lover.

As quickly as he came to her, he was gone. Afterwards, she dreamed no more.

Anastasia woke just before the sun came up with the memory of his hands and his body upon hers. As she slid out from under the covers, the coo of the mourning dove outside her window brought her the peace of daybreak as she closed her eyes and tried to remember. Tried to see his eyes in her mind, and though she didn't know how, she knew that it had been more than a dream. She knew that this man was somehow her past and her future. That one day, she and he would be together forever.

Anastasia finished packing her meager personal belongings into her car and as she did so, she dream slipped away from her leaving her with a feeling of loss. Two hours passed slowly at the apartment while she waited to leave. In the meantime she kept her mind busy by focusing on the map trying to figure out the best route to get to the cabin while a pair of soulful eyes remained a constant in the back of her mind.

Anastasia looked around the apartment and when she was satisfied that she hadn't forgotten anything, she knocked on Misty's bedroom door. Anastasia heard a male voice call out, "Go away," but she knocked again calling her roommates' name.

"Misty. I'm leaving." Muffled voices could be heard emanating from her roommates bedroom.

When the door finally opened, Misty's hair was completely disheveled. She wore only a flimsy, threadbare robe, inside out for that matter. She cracked the door open enough for Anastasia to see that she had interrupted something. On the bed, Jake lay completely naked, scowl on his face directed at her. Anastasia ignored him.

"Goodbye Misty."

"Bye Stace. I'm gonna miss you," said Misty as she stepped forward to hug Anastasia.

As the women hugged, Misty's robe accidentally slipped open. A half second later, Jake jumped off the bed and sprang toward them with obvious interest.

"I've got to go now," said Anastasia as she backed away from her friend and the creep known as Jake.

"You sure had a good time last night. Who'd you have in there with you?" he said motioning toward her bedroom door.

"No one, why?" asked a puzzled Anastasia.

"Cause we heard you through the walls and it sure sounded like you was having a wild time. When did he leave? Or was it a her?" the slimy bastard asked. "You don't have to go. Why don't you stay and the three of us could say a proper goodbye?" he said as he grabbed Misty with one hand and reached for Anastasia with the other. She slid away and barely escaped his hand.

Misty slapped him, said goodbye and slammed the door behind her. Misty gave him hell. Anastasia could hear them argue as she closed the apartment door.

As she walked down the hall of her dingy apartment building for what she somehow knew was the last time, she smiled at the thought of a new life and didn't look back as she practically flew down the front stairs to her awaiting car. It is the perfect day to start my new adventure. Out with the old and in with the new her grandmother had often said.

"I'm coming home Grandmother," Anastasia yelled as she drove down the road, windows open, country music blaring.