Chapter 6

Darrius watch from the edges of the room, anger spread through his body like wildfire through dry brush.

I'll kill her and then what will he do?

He emerged from the darkness and moved toward his enemy and his woman. He stood over the bed, watching, planning. How best to once again kill this woman played over and over in his evil mind.

He couldn't do it with Ahren there. Ahren was becoming stronger. He'd have to wait until she was alone or it was possible, though not probable, for his brother to stop him. No, he didn't want that. He wanted to make Ahren suffer like he did before.

Darrius reached a cold dead hand out toward Anastasia. He first stroked her hair and watched the shivers it sent through her body. She snuggled closer into Ahren's arms infuriating Darrius even further. He yanked on Anastasia's tresses and disappeared.

"What the hell?" Anastasia awoke with a start. Ahren immediately jumped up awake and ready. Through sleep stained eyes, he looked around the room. When he found nothing he got back into bed and wrapped his arms around her.

"What? What's wrong?" he asked.

Anastasia rubbed the spot on her head that still smarted.

"Nothing. I guess I must have been dreaming. Still hurts though."

Ahren knew without knowing.

"Let me see," he directed, "maybe you got it caught on something."

Anastasia turned her head away from him. He ran her fingers through her hair and was not surprised when a small chunk came off in his hands. He sighed.

"Anastasia my darling. We need to talk. There's something I need to tell you about myself," he started but before he could finish, she interrupted.

"Shh. It's ok. I already know who you are. You are the man I've been waiting all my life for. The man of my dreams. Literally. The man I want to spend the rest of my life with." Anastasia searched his face for recognition that what she said was true. Hoping. Wanting. Needing.

"My darling. You are the woman I've been waiting a century for and now that we are together again I'll never let you go," he answered.

Anastasia didn't fully understand, but at the same time knew he spoke the truth. Deep inside, she too felt as if they had been together forever. That when their bodies came together, it was familiar and right.

He framed her face in his hands and kissed her gently.

"Anastasia, please listen. Everything depends on you believing what I have to tell you."

Anastasia smiled, grasped his hands and kissed him back.

"Sure. Tell me," she puffed up the pillows behind her and leaned back.

Ahren took a deep breath. He got out of bed and started to pace the floor.

"Anastasia. We know each other. We've known each other for a long time. One hundred and two years to be exact." He searched Anastasia's face for a sign that she didn't believe him, instead he found her studying him, something akin to recognition in her eyes. He continued.

"We were to be married you and I. That's where the trouble began. My brother Darrius fell in love with you too and when he found out that we were planning our lives together, he killed us. First he kidnapped you, leaving me clues as to where to find you. I did but before I could rescue you, he hit me on the head and knocked me unconscious. When I woke I was tied to a tree in front of a small shack, where this cabin now stands. I heard you scream and cry for help but I couldn't get untied. Darrius came out and threw down his lantern. Our house went up in flames and all I could do was watch and listen to your screams." Ahren closed his eyes remembering the shame of not being able to save the woman he loved. A solitary tear slid down his cheek.