Chapter 2

I'm not a big girl, like at all. Quite opposite, actually. I dunno, guess it's my rep as the "blatantly hostile" troublemaker. Or the fact I look like a tattoo artist.

Hanging with Lauren and her brother, Zayn, ain't help me either.

I'm pretty to myself and would rather not play into a role. Inevitably, I already do because of my temper and appearance.

I blame my incompetent, immature ass parents.

Honestly, I could be in the most dangerous gang in all of Miami and they wouldn't give a shit. I'd just walk right out the front door, just to smoke weed with Lauren and Zayn.

We'd sometimes take snacks from the corner stores during late, high nights. We're young, dumb, and broke so, why the hell not?

On weekends, the three of us would drive around in Lauren's Jeep with paintball guns. Of course, we'd be higher than kites, on top of being bored as fuck.

As I walk pass the locker I destroyed this morning, I hear a familiar boy's voice. -Yo, 'Bello!- Zayn and I do our little handshake. Lauren comes up with her arms crossed.

-Hello again, Cabello.- I nod in acknowledgement.

-'Sup, Jaureguis.- We start walking, probably looking like the cliche misfit crew, wearing mostly black and having their chins up.

Oh, well, fuck everyone's opinions.

-Ren, I heard about this morning. Really? This damn early?- Zayn says, looking pass me to his little sister. She shrugs with a light chuckle.

-You can't blame me. The way she was looking at me? She was basically asking me to fuck her.

I shake my head, -What's that? The fifth girl this month?- Zayn scoffs, -Try this week.

-Lauren, you're a slut,- I laugh. She pushes me playfully and I retaliate.

Just as we were about to enter the hall with our classes, Lauren stops us. -We should blow off the rest of the morning.- I raise my eyebrows.

-Lauren...

-What? Are you backing out?- She gasps.

-Huh? The Camila Cabello, backing out of a smoke sesh?- Zayn holds his chest in faux shock. I roll my eyes.

-Seriously, guys. I got my report card this morning and it won't good.- The older sibling shoves his hands in his pocket.

-Yeah, same.- Lauren looks between us for a moment then sighs, running a hand through her hair, -Same. Guess we should actually try, huh?- We nod.

Someone suddenly bumps Zayn into us and he quickly turns to see it was Machinery Hoochie, or whatever his fucking name is. Just know he's like 50 and still in high school.

-Watch where you going, freaks!- Zayn shoves him, -Hey, fuck you, Grandpa! Matt drops the two books he was holding and shoves him back, though harder.

-What're you gonna do about it, amigo?- He shoves him again, right into the lockers, making him wince.

-Seems like you do.- Lauren then steps in, -Leave my brother alone, you dick! Matt chuckles, -Oh? You have your sister fighting your battles, Zaney Waney?

Zayn glares at him, moving Lauren out of the way and sending a punch his way. The jock stumbles back a bit, holding his jaw. Before he could do anything, Zayn charges him, tackling him to the ground.

The two wrestle around a little, drawing a small crowd with their phones out. Matt ends up straddling him, raining sick punches down on the boy. Lauren's yelling for them to stop, but of course, her words fall on deaf ears.

It wasn't until the security guard, Griffin, pulls Matt off of Zayn and holds him against the locker when he tries to get to Zayn again. -Chill out, Husky!- Griffin exclaims.

-It's Huss—,

-I don't care what your name is.- He seethes then looks back at Zayn, who's getting up. He spits out some blood, face a bit busted, but not too bad.

-Fucking bitch,- he says, hissing after. Lauren goes over to her brother just as Griffin says. -I'm taking you to Cowell, Hybrid.-

-It's,-

-I don't give a damn!- He nods at us. -Go to the nurse, Z.-

Zayn shakes his head, -I'm good, Griff. Really.-

-A'ight. Let's go, Hitchhiker.- He shoves Matt in the back with his baton and Lauren glares over at her brother.

-You knew damn well you weren't gonna beat him! He's twice your size, Zayn!-

-What? You wanted me to just stand there and let him push me around?!-

-Alright, you two!- I say, hushing the siblings. The bell then rings and everyone disperses, leaving us three. -Zayn, Lauren's right. Matt is on the football team and he's like 82 years old. You set yourself up for failure. Hope you learned from it.-

He rolls his eyes, flipping me off. -It's the truth and you know it.- I glare. He shrugs, -Whatever.- Then walks off towards his class. Lauren and I decided to do the same, going to our respected classrooms.

-Miss Cabello. Late again.- I roll my eyes at the teacher. -Yeah, whatever.- Just as I'm about to take my seat, I abruptly stop. Right next to my seat, there's a hooded figure with their head down.

I never had anyone sit beside me because of my bad rep. No one wants to associate themselves with me and honestly, I couldn't give two fucks. I squint, going over to them and tapping their shoulder. They didn't react, so I tap a little harder.

-Hey, Sheev Palpatine.- I say semi angrily. They then sit up and I froze.

Oh, my god. I've never seen anyone, or anything so damn beautiful.

Her skin is the shade of caramel and her eyes are a perfect mix of emerald green and specks of gray and brown. Her eyelashes fanned out naturally and her dark, crinkly hair hung chest length under her hood.

My mouth felt dry as I lost all ability to form any words. Though I was conscious of this, I made no attempt to try.

This has never happened to me before.

-What do you want?- She asks in an irritated, though silky smooth voice that created shivers down my spine. I blink a few times and briefly look around, seeing a few anxious faces. I clear my throat, not about to get embarrassed by this strange chick.

When I look back at her, again, I lose all sense and just stare. She rolls her eyes, pushing her hood back and running a hand through dark waves. -Are you hard of hearing?- I snap from my daze and squint at her, trying to be intimidating.

-You're in the way of my seat,- I say, steadily. She raises a perfectly sculpted brow and stands, just a few inches shorter than me. I keep my expression, pushing pass her and taking my seat.

The lingering fluttery feeling I had filled me up more as I momentarily get lost in her eyes. I avert my gaze, setting my bag down on my desk and kicking my feet up.

She sits back down and I suddenly feel goosebumps all over my body, despite the pretty warm room. I try to pay attention to what the teacher is saying.

It was almost impossible to with this beautiful girl right beside me.

———