Two // Peter Pettigrew

October 31, 1981

Peter lived in constant fear. He was afraid of Voldemort, quite obviously, Albus Dumbledore, Sirius Black, and most importantly, James Potter. Peter always looked up to James and marveled at his self-confidence. By following and befriending the wizard he deemed most powerful at the time, Peter gained immunity from bullying at Hogwarts. The friendship was an odd one, but James loved the attention and Peter lived to serve him, until he was approached with a better offer.

When he was approached by Lord Voldemort, the frightened Peter could not say no. He signed his soul away to Voldemort immediately. The prize of protection and a little recognition meant the world to the man. After years of service, Peter could finally repay the Dark Lord with his greatest feat yet- exposing the location of James, and thus Harry, Potter.

Peter picked at a loose thread on his robe. His hands couldn't stay still for more than a second. Then, the pain came, the calling to his master. On his left forearm, the now black tattoo of the Dark Mark writhed and burned. He didn't dare resist the summon.

Peter's heart was beating faster than a rabbit's. When he Apparated in the graveyard, the tall, thin man towered over him. At the sight of his gaunt master, Peter fell to the ground in a bow. He was not worthy, he was never worthy.

"Up."

With a simple flick of his hand, the Dark Lord forced Peter to his feet. Peter was paralyzed with fear and awe.

"M-my L-lord-"

"Peter, my loyal servant," hissed Voldemort. "It is time."

"It is t-time?" Peter stammered in response. It was taking every fiber of his being to stop himself from urinating in front of his Lord.

"I have finished the final split today," Voldemort announced rather proudly. The Dark Lord was referencing his creation of Horcruxes. Peter should have been proud of his Lord, but instead, was shaking with fear. "You must now give up the location willingly. What is the location of the Potters' cottage?"

It was the biggest task anyone had ever given Peter, and it would be so easy to do. He wanted to do it, he did, to once again please someone in power. But the faces of Lily and James swam in his mind as he shivered, on the verge of tears. He didn't like keeping such a large secret and knowing exactly what the consequences of his next words would be, Peter exhaled.

"6 Hippogriff Drive, Godric's Hollow."

Being the Secret Keeper had torn Peter apart. At the willing release of the location, he felt as if a large burden were lifted off his lungs. For about two seconds, Peter could breathe again, until he remembered, within the hour, Lily, James, and Harry would all be dead.

Peter didn't hear the thanks the Dark Lord gave. He didn't seem to feel the cold hands on his shoulders as Voldemort gave his praise. Peter was deaf to the sound of Voldemort laughing in triumph before Disapparating to Godric's Hallow. Peter was only, shivering, shaking, and picking at the threads of his robes again.

After what felt like an eternity of standing in the graveyard, Peter Disapparated to his hiding spot. The only person who knew of the place besides himself was Sirius Black. Sirius made the hiding spot to protect him, as the Secret Keeper. He didn't seem to realize just yet that he sealed the Potters' fate by breaking the Fidelius Charm. For hours on Halloween night, Peter paced in his hiding spot, wearing a track in the carpet. He didn't know when Voldemort killed James. He didn't know when Voldemort killed Lily. He didn't know when Voldemort attempted to kill Harry.

He didn't know when Voldemort lost his powers. 

At approximately six in the morning the following day, after Peter had pulled out nearly all his hair, Peter realized something that made him go weak at the knees. If the Dark Lord acted, Sirius Black would know the truth of his betrayal and come after him. Peter nearly had a stroke at the thought.

In a hurry, and before he started to get sick from worry, Peter abandoned his hiding spot. He started wandering down the streets in the neighboring village, feeling rather ill. He managed to snag a copy of the Daily Prophet, and through his blurry, watery eyes, made out a few words: James and Lily Potter... Murdered.

That was all he needed to read before bursting in to tears. Then Peter heard a low growl that made his heart nearly stop. 

Sirius Black stood behind Peter. The rat wasn't hard to find. Sirius was always a phenomenal tracker. Just the sight of the two men facing off was attracting the attention of Muggles nearby. Fueled by anger and grief, Sirius stood in front of Peter, bloodshot eyes filled with disbelief. Sirius no longer looked like a handsome, regal man. He was mourning over the murder of his best friend, and the murderer was standing right in front of him. For once, Sirius was at a loss for words. Sirius had been telling himself he would kill Peter for what he did, but as he stood in front of the rat, he had no idea what to do.

The Aurors had been chasing after Sirius for questioning regarding the Secret Keeper. They were closing in on Sirius' capture, judging by the noises in the street which seemed to be following Sirius. In a quick decision, perhaps the smartest decision Peter ever made in his life, Peter began to scream.

"Sirius B-Black! You betrayed our friends! You k-killed Lily and James Potter!"

The screams caught the attention of Muggles in a breakfast cafe. A dozen of them walked out the the shop, calling for the help of policemen. Confusion spread across Sirius' face. He took a step towards Peter and the rat screamed again.

"Don't point that at me!" Peter squealed. Sirius had nothing in his hands. The confusing act was enough to stop Sirius from murdering Peter on the spot. Peter raised his wand behind his back. The Aurors had just arrived. "P-Please Sirius, I am you friend! No! D-Don't-"

Sirius only had enough time to cast a protection spell around himself before the street was blown up by Peter's Blasting Curse. 

The street was absolutely destroyed. The Muggles who walked out of the shop fell victim to the curse. As Sirius stood in the rubble- seemingly the only survivor, he caught a glimpse of a plump grey rat scurrying away from the crime scene. The Aurors saw everything.

Maybe it was the grief or maybe it was the disbelief, but when Sirius was restrained by the Aurors, he laughed. Oh, he laughed and cackled like a madman, because it was the only thing he could do.

The evidence against Sirius Black was insurmountable. He was taken to Azkaban without trial, laughing the whole time about spies and rats. He was deemed insane even before he was thrown in his cell for a life sentence.