Nine // Lemus

Remus didn't pursue Marlene for the longest time because he had a crush on someone else. He never said anything to her, he was too nervous and she was always interested in her. Remus had a crush on Lexi. He never even told his best mates. As soon as Sirius and Lexi started dating, he gave up, and went after Marlene. That ended up being one of the best decisions of Remus' life and he found true love in Marlene.

In an alternate universe, I completely support this ship. In fact, I love it and nearly considered the two of them to get together after Sirius' incarceration (them actually getting married and maybe even starting a little family too). But it couldn't happen when Lexi and Sirius were soulmates. And honestly, I considered Remus and Marlene to be soulmates too.

But here is the beginning of the book I don't intend to write, but wish I did.

Alternate version of Chapter 50 of Breaking Black

Remus ran after Lexi when she left the party after catching Sirius kissing Sterling Spies. She had no idea he was following her pounding footsteps all the way to the astronomy tower.

When she got there alone, she stood at the edge, staring at the horizon. Her blue eyes looked like they might start brimming with tears at any moment and her black curls rippled in the breeze. Remus caught her gaze and his heart skipped a beat. He always thought she was truly gorgeous, but so off limits.

"Lexi," Remus spoke softly as he stepped closer. A small smile played on Lexi's lips and she sniffled. None of her friends ever called her by her real name anymore and it was nice to hear. He approached the railing and leaned over the side next to Lexi. She easily tipped her head on his shoulder. Remus took a sharp breath at the action and closed his eyes.

"You were right. You told me I couldn't get him to fall in love with me and I didn't. I fell for him instead... I played myself!" Lexi groaned.

"Honestly, the way he talked about you the last few days... I thought you broke him. I thought I was going to have to find ten sickles somehow..."

He was telling the truth. The way Sirius was talking and acting about Lexi scared Remus. However, the bet he thought he was going to lose was not the reason he was afraid.

"But I didn't," Lexi spat and pulled three sickles out of her pocket and forced them into Remus' hand. "Take them, I'll have to pay you the rest of them-"

"I'm not taking your money-" Remus protested.

"I lost the bet! Or at least, I'm quitting it right now. I failed, Remus! And I don't want to continue with it! It's never going to happen, it never was! I hate him so much! And his stupid bet!"

"Lexi, you don't hate him."

Remus' voice was steady and calming, but it was covering an edge of nervousness. Lexi didn't seem to pick up on Remus' unease, she was too angry about her heartbreak. His stomach was churning as he looked at her beautiful eyes, which kept switching from the emotion of sadness to fury and back to sadness again.

"All for a title over Donald! Did he even care about me?!" Lexi shouted. She kicked her foot against the wall in frustration and her breath steamed against the cold air.

"Yes, he did, he just didn't realize what he could've had. He still does care about you." Remus' eyes were far away, gazing off in the distance, but there was a steely determination look to them. As soon as he said the words helping Sirius' cause, he regretted them. "He doesn't deserve you. And I shouldn't have let you make that promise... We all know how he treats girls."

"Do you think he'll ever change?"

"No," Remus sighed in a small voice, finally spilling the truth. He took a deep breath, and instead of holding his tongue about everything he wanted to say, he decided to say it for once. Sirius wasn't right for her. "Lexi, listen to me, he really doesn't deserve you. You deserve someone who's always been there for you and always will be. Someone who realizes your worth and would never hurt you."

"Moony, the only person who fits that description is you," Lexi chuckled, seemingly oblivious. But Remus kept his face serious and his green eyes focused on hers. He knew there was no going back. "Remus?"

"Lexi, I've liked you for a long time. I mean, more than just friends. How didn't you see it?"

His heart was beating out of his chest and so was hers. Remus held on to the railing of the tower, afraid that he was going to fall over the edge. Lexi just looked stunned at his confession. In a way, it all made sense.

Maybe the kiss was revenge on Sirius. Maybe it was something they were both waiting on for time, but never thought about doing. Remus was actually terrified. Lexi was unsure up until the moment their lips touched.

Once Remus got over the initial shock, he realized just how much he longed for that moment for years. Remus kissed Lexi back softly, sort of uncertainly, and Lexi realized she needed his constant sweet, nice, supporting presence in her life. Hogwarts could've exploded around them and they probably wouldn't have noticed.

The hollow, empty feeling of heartbreak in her chest was replaced by something new, unexpected, and beautiful. Remus never imagined he could ever compare to Sirius Black, but he knew, if given the chance, he would show her the love she deserved.

"Things can never be the same again, can they Rem?" Lexi breathlessly whispered after inching away. Remus was in absolute shock and started talking in babble, unable to form actual words. Both of them were blushing, but still smiling bigger than they had in months.

"I just have a feeling things are going to be a lot different now," Remus said carefully. His face was still only mere inches from Lexi's, and he wanted to press his lips to hers her again.

"They definitely are. But at least it will be a good different with you by my side."

Remus never acted on many impulsive things that he wanted, but he wanted to kiss Lexi again, and so, he did.