Chapter 4

Gary Oak and I have known each other since we were little kids. As kids we would always play together and go on mini adventures. Once we pretend that we just got our first Pokemon and we going on own journey. We both take turns on winning. Once, Gary and I pretend that we were the final two at the Pokemon League. I was battling with make-believe Charizard and Gary had a Blastoise. Unlike now, back then I didn’t know much about Pokemon. While I was tell my fake Pokemon to use fire moves. At the same time Gary was telling his fake Pokemon to use water moves. Gary told me that fire Pokemon can never win against water type. So I lost our fake battle. Ever since that day, Gary has change. If I ever lost a fake battle, he would comfort by saying, ‘Don’ worry you’ll win next time.’ But that change to, ‘Ha! I won and you lost! Oh are you going cry?’ Slowly I was losing my best friend/rival and gaining a jerky rival.

But then I thought after the Johot League, when Gary told me that he quite being a trainer and become a researcher. I’ll have my best friend back. For a little bit, I did. But now, I can see that I’ll never see that Gary ever again. No, now I see the worst Gary I have ever seen. He still hold the glowing egg in his hand. With a smirk placed on his face. He brought the egg closer to him to examine it better.

“This egg isn’t even old enough for it to hatch. Why the hell is it glowing,” Gary asked? I stayed quite. I don’t want to answer him.

“Gary, please give it back,” I pleaded. He looked back at me but he didn’t show any sign of him returning my poke egg back.

“Oh Ashy, Ashy, Ashy,” Gray said with fake sympathy. “How about we make a bet?”

“What kind of bet,” I ask in a skeptic tone.

“Let’s go back to Pallet Town together,” Gary said. “If this egg hatches on the way there, then it belongs to me. But if is doesn’t hatch between here and Pallet, than it’s yours.” The idea of betting Pikachu’s child isn’t something I’m feeling comfortable with. “If one person goes on foot, it well take thirteen hours but then it gets too dark you’ll have to camp for the night. More likely you sleep seven hours. Add it all up and you got twenty hours.”

“So,” I asked in a tone where you can tell that I’m nervous.

“So the odds are in my favor. This egg will definitely hatch between that time span,” Gary says it with a lot of confidents in his voice. But it’s most likely that his right. I’ve seen eggs hatch before and that egg has a few hours left to go. I was going to say something but Gary started to walk away with the egg.

“Wait! Gary,” I called him.

“Catch up or this soon to be Pokemon will be mine,” Gary said. I walked fast to catch up with him.

“But the way home is that way,” I said in a confuse tone. “Why are you going this way?”

“Because Ashy,” Gary says while poking my forehead. “I need to take my Pokemon to the center and get some thing at the mart.” I’m dumbfounded of what he said.

“But it takes a whole hour for Nurse Joy finish a check up! Also I have all the supplies we’ll need for the trip. So you don’t need bye anything,” I said.

“Oh no Ashy, I need something’s and I doubt that you have enough supplies for the both of us. Now come on, my Pokemon needs to cheek up,” said Gary. I had no more words so I just follow him. We entered the Pokemon Center and Gary went up to Nurse Joy. He talks for a bit and then I see Nurse Joy giggle a little. Gary then turns around but from where I am, I saw that he gave her a wink.

‘He was flirting with Nurse Joy,’ I asked to myself. Gary came back to me and sat down. “Can I hold my Poke egg for now,” I asked him. Gary looked at me by corner of his eye.

“Why should you, until you win the bet then you then yes. But for now I’ll hold this little guy until it hatches,” said Gary with a cocky tone. I can’t believe Gary is like this.

“Well come on lets go and buy the things you need while your Pokemon are being check out,” I told Gary.

“Nope,” is his only respond.

“BUT WHY,” I asked and yelled. He just smirk and laughed at me.

“Cause I’m tired and I want to rest for an hour,” he said.

“Okay than give me the list of things you want and I’ll buy them for you,” I told Gary. He keeps his smirk and shakes his head.

“I don’t think you can’t buy what I need,” said Gary. I’m starting to get mad now.

“Why not,” I asked him.

“Cause you can’t even handle it. Going shopping is too much for little Ashy,” Gary said mocking me. He trying to make fun of me he is but he is also trying to make excuses. An excuse so he has a reason to waste time. The more time he waste here the better chance the egg will hatch on our way back to Pallet Town.

“Please Gary. Please don’t do this lets go and buy those things. I know what are you’re doing,” I plead him. He looked down and stayed quite. I knew he won’t move so I sat down, away from him. We stay like that for an hour until Nurse Joy, calling for Gary. I got up and headed towards the door while Gary went to Nurse Joy. He reserves his Pokemon and he head towards the door were I was waiting for him. We left the Pokemon Center and went to the Poke Shop. I continued to stay quite while Gary shops. He took another hour and he was done. I didn’t even bother to see what he got. I just want to go home and have my Pokemon egg back. We finally step out of Pewter and now on the path to Viridian Forest. We soon reach the woods and as soon as we did. He heard all of the bug Pokemon and other types.

“Well aren’t you quite it Ashy boy,” said Gary. I was hoping that we will stay quite it the whole way back.

“I got nothing to say,” I told him. We went back of being quite it but it soon be came dark. “We only made it have way threw this woods.”

“Well we have to camp here tonight,” said Gary in I-don’t-care tone. I sighed and started to set up camp. We finish and I was starting to get hungry. So I decided to cook something. I went to the fire that Gary made and took out what I need. “What are you doing?” I looked up at Gary with a chip in his mouth and a chip bag in his hands.

“I’m making something to eat,” I simply told him.

“You know how to cook,” Gary asked somewhat shocked. “Since when? I have a hard time to think you can cook anything.”

“I learned form a friend from Unova,” I said. I finish cooking and ate in silent not even bothering with Gary anymore. I stay up for a bit until I started to feel sleepy. I looked at Gary’s direction and saw that was staring at the fire. I got up and went to my sleeping bag and lied down. I stay awake for a bit until I saw something yellow in corner of eye. I looked up and saw a wild Pikachu. I stare at that Pikachu for half a minute and soon I felt a single tear.  I closed my eyes and waited until sleep took over me. For some strange reason during the night, I felt warmer and safe.