Distanced

After getting off the train, Adrien finally remembered to grab his suitcase when he came to a dumbfounding realization. He forgot Plagg at Marinette's. It had been an entire day, and of course, it had to be a rainy night in Paris.

Knowing her, she was still taking the best possible care of his kitten until she was able to return him. Hopefully after today, Adrien hoped as he walked down the street, it wouldn't be necessary.

The boy found himself staring at the spot where he'd run into Marinette when they first encountered one another after high school. The ironic way that the two had crashed into each other after both chasing their kittens, it made him feel like fate was real, and it was there in his life.

If that collision hadn't happened, Adrien feared he never would've found her.

Now he feared that when he found her, she would heavily dislike him and politely tell him to sit at the bottom of a hole for all of eternity.

"Ugh, daddy's boy is here," an irritated voice grumbled as Adrien passed a man who just left a fashion office. He spun around in surprise to see Fabio holding some random rectangular bulge under his shirt.

"Glad to see you too," Adrien rolled his eyes, shaking his head.

"Why aren't you with Marinette? Was she smart enough to dump your weak sorry butt?" Fabio joked, his humor dry as his personality.

Adrien stopped walking to glare back at him. "What do you care?" He asked.

"Oh, Marinette actually dumped you! Figures she wouldn't like you that much

"Oh, Marinette actually dumped you! Figures she wouldn't like you that much. Oh well, I've got a new life to attend to, so good luck with whatever ridiculous thing you were going to do," he spoke smugly, shrugging.

As much as a liar Fabio was, his words added to Adrien's anxiety. His breath shortened slightly as he pondered the possibilities. Maybe Marinette used his father as a way to break up with him. Maybe she really couldn't deal with him. Maybe she wanted a "man" like Fabio?

The dark-haired man chuckled, smirking as he realized his words got to Adrien. He walked away and left the blonde with the mental possibilities.

Adrien watched him as he got into a car, slipping a book out from under his shirt. A pink book. It wasn't any pink book, but Marinette's design book! Covered with little white polka dots, the book had a dark brown fabric outlining the edges. Her signature letter, M, covered the middle in a larger circle.

"Fabio! What are you doing with Marinette's designs?!" Adrien angrily ran up to the car, realizing he just may have stolen them. Fabio slammed the door, then the car pulled away.

There is no way, Adrien thought, that he'd let Fabio get away with stealing Marinette's most precious possession.

* * *

"There's got to be a way to fix this. We have to find a way to get your sketches back from Fablo," Nino told Marinette as she collapsed to the couch with exhaustion.

The moon was hanging over the sky, and the blue eyed girl doubted Fabio was still out roaming the streets. Her, Nino, and Alya have been out all day, searching for the thieving man, but they were unsuccessful.

"You guys should go... It's getting late. Go spend time together!" Marinette forced a smile for them, coming off as natural.

"Are you sure? Marinette, it's all my fault. I can't just leave you here alone! If it weren't for me, your book wouldn't have been sto-" Alya rambled guiltily.

"Girl, take a breath. It isn't your fault that Fabio can lie and steal. Don't feel bad! Nino's here, and you should go hang out with him for the night! Go on a date or have dinner! Have fun!" Marinette hugged her, reassuring her that she didn't blame her.

Alya hugged her back, still feeling so terribly. "I'm so sorry, Marinette... Are you sure?"

"I'm positive! Stop apologizing! It wasn't your fault or Nino's! Fabio is the one to blame," Marinette tried to nonchalantly wave her hand and force laughter.

Of course, she didn't blame Alya for any of it. She didn't blame anyone but herself. Even though her sketchbook was missing, her negative emotions were stemming from a different situation. She broke up with Adrien for his own good.

Why did she even listen to Gabriel? Poor Adrien probably thought she hated him. The guy had insecurities, and she pushed on them by leaving him. She knew what she had done was even worse than making Adrien less financially successful by having him with her.

Once she eventually got Alya and Nino to get out of her apartment to go enjoy themselves and have a date, she stood by her table.

She still couldn't believe she had pushed away the love of her life. If she went back to him, would he forgive her? He was never a mean person, and it was unimaginable to see him angry at her, but she feared it was a possibility.

Looking down at Plagg, who was pawing at her leg gently, she picked the kitten up and pulled him into her arms gently. He probably missed his best friend, Marinette thought.

"Hey, I'll get you back to Adrien soon. Don't worry," she promised the kitten, "I just... hope he can forgive me."

Plagg chirped out a small purr in reply. She placed him back on the ground next to her own kitten, Tikki. The two kittens trampled over each other, playfully pawing one another on the face and letting out small battle cries.

Marinette giggled a little, making her way back to sit down at the table. Looking out towards the window, she let her mind wander to the day before.

* * *

"I wimped out," Adrien admitted to himself when he closed the door to the hotel room he had just rented at the Bourgeois hotel. His hair and clothes dripped with rain water, and his eyes squeezed shut.

It wasn't all that late, yet he couldn't bring himself to face Marinette immediately. Was he being clingy by coming back to her? Maybe she didn't want to see him.

"Oh Marinette actually dumped you! Figures she didn't like you that much."

Adrien tossed his suitcase on the bed, pulling his wet blue shirt off and grabbing a dry gray one to replace it.

"The truth is that I can't be with you, Adrien. Go back to your father. This doesn't feel right."

He muttered wistfully as he fell back on his bed, "I can't talk to her... I-I'm just a wimp, just like Fabio said."