Chapter 4- Someone's Not Getting It

(Chapter 4- Someone's Not Getting It)

I woke up the next morning unable to concentrate on anything besides Chase. I couldn’t get what he told me out of my head. I lost a lot of sleep over it. He just seems so broken over my actions and the guilt was eating away at me. I was never the one to bring sadness to my best friend but yet I did this time. I think maybe I should talk to him today and see if we can salvage what is left of our relationship.

After getting ready and eating a quick breakfast I was on my way to another day of high school. I was already dreading it and that was weird for it being my second day back to school. Usually it took weeks for the new to wear off and me to become board with it.

Maybe it’s because I knew things would be awkward with Chase now. I hated us being like this and today I was going to fix it. I hope.  Nothing would make me happier than to be on better terms.

After I pulled up in front of the school I gathered my books and went in. The hallways were crowded as usual and the loud bustling noises were at their normal level. Everything seemed quite…normal. My eyes scanned the hall for Chase a couple of times but coming up with nothing. Maybe he was just late.

Disappointed I forced myself over to my locker and opened it to get out the materials I need for first period. As soon as the locker come flying open a little white note came fluttering down catching my eye. As it landed on the floor I stared at it in wonder before reaching picking it up.  

There is only one person I know that would write me a note and put it in my locker and that was Chase. No one else ever did beside him. What was a surprise though, was that I hadn’t received a letter from him via my locker since middle school.

My fingers traced the paper lightly before opening it to read its contents. As my eyes looked over the paper I realized I was right, Chase had written the note.

Ashlyn,

Meet me on the football field before first period.

                                                                                Chase

I folded up the note and pushed it into my back pocket before closing my locker and walking toward the exit of the school. If Chase wanted to talk then I think it was probably for the best.

I passed by all the cars in the lot and walked down the bank to the field. It was only a short distance from the lot but you had to pass through it to get there.

I my eyes roamed the field for him but I didn’t spot him anywhere. Where the hell is he? I’m going to be so pissed if he stood me up. Maybe he was upset with me about yesterday and this was some kind of payback.

“You came.” He said from behind causing me to jump out of skin.

“What the hell?” I yelled turning to face him. “Trying to scare me to death?”

I landing a slap to his chest before thinking about it and then felt how much it hurt. It was like slapping a brick wall with all your might. I really should have thought that through first. Me and my bright ideas.

“Did that feel nice?” He asked with sarcasm dripping from his voice.

He took my hand in his to see if I had hurt myself but I jerked it away from him. “What do you want?”

“You.” He smirked.

Wow he must have gained a little more confidence since yesterday. He seems to be more like his old self today. Well apart from the wanting to be with me stuff. That is still all new to me.