Chapter 7- Learning The Truth

(Chapter 7- Learning The Truth)

After a long night sleep I decided I was going to talk to Chase calmly. Maybe even take the time to learn some things about vampires. Since I was going to be here whether I liked it or not I may as well learn something and try making the best of the situation.

Chase and I were the only ones in the breakfast parlor and it was extremely quiet so I decided to break the silence by asking him some questions.

“So….your family possesses gifts.”

This subject actually had me curious. I wonder what they were.

He looked up in surprise at hearing my voice. “Yeah.”

“And it’s every vampire?”

“Everyone that hasn’t had them taken.” He stated.

“Taken?”

“Yeah. There are some people who steal gifts from other vampires. My grandfather has fallen victim to this himself.” He answered.

“Oh.”

"We call them gift snatchers. It is very rare that anyone has this ability but it is known to happen. We have been trying to eliminate them for centuries now. According to my grandfather they are a threat to us and must be gotten rid of."

Wow I actually feel bad for his grandpa. I mean his gift was wrongly taken from him and he couldn’t do anything about it.

"What was his gift?" I asked inquisitively.

"It was the most sought after gift in the world and still is. If anyone is found to have this gift every gift snatcher out there will be after them." He stated.

"What was it?"

"The power of the elements, you can control earth, fire, wind and water. You can produce any of them with just a thought. It is the most prestigious gift you can have."

"Is there any way to get it back?" I asked

"The only way is to kill the snatcher that took it. After that your gift will return."

"How is it stolen?"

"It can only be stolen by trust. If the snatcher completely earns your trust they can take it from you without you even knowing about it until you try to use it again. The person who stole my grandfather’s gift was his brother. He was jealous of my grandfather for getting the throne and stole it."

"So do you know how many gift snatchers are out there?"

"The last time we heard it was three. We have people tracking them. The last one was killed three years ago. They are hard to kill because they keep their gift a secret and once you find out who they are it becomes too late because they are gone and so is your gift." Chase explained.

"Wow that’s a lot to process. It sounds to me like it’s best not to trust anyone then."

"You are exactly right. We only know that one of the gift snatchers is my grandfather’s brother. The other two identities remain unknown. We think that they are all working together to help him steal the throne."

"It actually sounds like everyone has their hands full." I declared.

“We do. We are kept very busy here.”

I looked down at my food and finished eating the rest of my meal in silence. Chase however was still starring at me the entire time. It was bothering me that he was doing that and he knew it. He always did that when he had something on his mind but didn’t want to say it.

Finally unable to stand his constant stares I spoke up slightly annoyed. “What?”

“What do you mean.”

“You have that look like you want to say something so just spit it out already.” I ordered.

I sighed giving in to me before his faced turned serious. “Do I need to be worried about you running off when I’m not around?”

“Why would you think that?”

“Because I know how unhappy you are here and I wouldn’t put it past you.” He replied honestly.

“Yeah, I am unhappy here but I doubt I would get far before I would be hauled back here. So what’s the point?” I stated.

There was no need in hiding it. If he was going to be truthful then so was I. I hate misleading people and I preferred honesty on all counts so he should have known it would come from me eventually. Plus I didn’t care to sugar coat anything for him right now. I only do that for friends and you could barely call him that in this moment.

"You’re right. There is no way that you will be allowed to leave. So I would like for you to get comfortable here." He stated.

Of course he does. He wants to keep me cooped up here so I won’t be able to leave so I’ll be forced to start a relationship with him.

"Chase I don't belong here, this is not my life. I have a family and friends that I need to get back to." I stressed.

"You are staying here and that is final! Get used to it.” He said fiercely.

The new and unknown Chase was making his appearance again I didn’t like it. He was not the Chase I could reason with or have a discussion with. He was to set on what he wanted and didn’t care to hear me out.

I quickly stood from my chair unable to be in the same room with him any longer. “Be careful Chase, or just might lose me forever.”

With that I placed my napkin on the table and fled the room. He needed to know that I wasn’t going to just go with his every command. I’m not one of his servants he couldn’t just order me around. I was a person, I was his friend, and how could he just treat me this way?

I made my way back to the room and closed the door behind me and locking it in the process. I had no wished to see right now or anymore today so I was going to make sure he stayed out. Not that a door would do much keep out a vampire but it was better than nothing.

Take that Chase. You ass. We’ll see whose willing to give in first cause it won’t be me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment...................Vote................Fan