Puppet Strings

•Y/N: Your Name

—————————————————
Author's POV:
_________________________________

—————————————————Author's POV:_________________________________

_________________________________

Hand-in-hand, the pair zigzag through the crowd of patrons as an announcement rings out about how the main event would soon begin. Once inside the largest tent, Chester guides Y/N to the front row seats. Being there again filled the girl with wonderful memories of her last visit to the circus, and she couldn't wait to see the show again.

"Enjoy the show, Y/N. I'll see you at intermission." Smiling softly, she nods her head, then he was off to join the rest of the crew to prepare for his act. After passing the curtain to the back of the tent, Chester was immediately confronted by the manager, who looked frustrated and upset.

"There you are, Chess! I've been looking everywhere! We have to cancel your segment." The jester was flabbergasted by the news, staring at the man with a dropped jaw and wide eyes.

"What do you mean?! Why? What happened?" he exclaims.

"Sorry, but Jezebel came down with the flu, and you have no understudy. You cannot perform your act without an assistant. You'll have to sit this one out until she gets better." His shoulders slump in disappointment, and he looked to the floor in thought before a light went off in his head. His boss is surprised when the jester suddenly gripped him by the shoulders with a sparkle in his eyes and a smile on his face.

"Hold on a moment! I might have a replacement!" Well, this was shocking news.

"Who?" Abruptly, he was let go of and the performer's hat rang as he ran towards the curtain to reach the crowd, leaving the man dumbfounded.

"Just wait a moment. I'll be right back!"

________________________________
Your POV:
________________________________

I'm surprised when Chester returns to me shortly after he left. I assumed I wouldn't see him again until intermission, and he seems oddly desperate and in a hurry. When he stops in front of me, he pauses to catch his breath, filling me with worry.

"Is everything okay?"

"We have have a little problem. I was hoping I could ask a favor of you?" he answers with pleading eyes.

"A favor? What kind?"

"My assistant got sick, and I can't perform my act without her. I was hoping you might be able to replace her. I swear the trick is easy!" He puts his hands together as though he was praying and crouches down in front of me. "So, can you please help me out here? I'd be really grateful." I took a moment to think it over before nodding with a smile. I had assisted him before without knowing what was even going to happen, so it's not like this was anything new, plus I felt I owed him for the wonderful experiences I've had at this circus.