Chapter 5

"So," Harry said, watching Draco rummage through the box, "what do you know about the Veela they call The Watcher?"

"I don't know of any such Veela- you'll need to be more specific," Draco said, pulling out another box of photos. He stopped for a brief moment, looking fondly at one before putting it back and shuffling some more.

"She guards Hogwarts." Harry offered, thinking. Draco's head snapped up, his eyes wide, temporarily forgetting his Veelan pride and the box, "she has huge wings, pretty too."

"There is only one Veela guarding Hogwarts, she is a part of my brood. Though she has no wings. Like myself, they were torn from her body. Same night actually, for trying to protect me. She hadn't found her Chosen at that point."

"Well she has them now," Hermione said confidently. "We saw them today. They are very pretty." Draco scoffed,

"I assure you that she doesn't," he argued, "the only way she could get them back is if her Chosen mated with her. She'd never approach him without wings. Ever."

"Maybe he approached her." Harry said, arching his eyebrows.

"Impossible. I know him. He would never, it's laughable... though people change. I am sitting here conversing with you lot. What did they look like?" Draco said, turning to face Harry fully.

"Like the wings on a golden snitch," Harry said and Draco's jaw dropped, though quickly snapped shut. He looked hurt,

"well... I'd never heard anyone describe them that way but me."

"You were both Seekers in school," Ron offered in a sort of friendly tone, finding something he could contribute to the conversation. Draco nodded,

"I just... I can't believe she didn't tell me." He shook off whatever thought he was having and began, again, rustling through the pictures. Ron and Harry both glanced at Hermione for ettiquette tips and she shook her head, signalling for them to be quiet. Draco sighed, closing the box, "I can't find it right now. They were pretty though... Hermione," he paused as though testing the new name, "so, in all honesty, I am *very* tired of fighting the rogue's off on my own. I suppose I could help you, it would help me."

"Any means to achieve their ends," Hermione smiled, "the Slytherin Prince, as usual."

Draco blanched a bit, shocked. Then he did something none of them expected, he laughed. A real laugh.

"I'll tell you what, Hermione, here's my offer. I'll teach you whatever you'd like, as long as you show no one else. No other Aurors, nothing. Not one person, it's a part of our heritage, meant to be only be passed to a Veela's non Veelan children or their Chosen. I never approached my Chosen, so therefore, no children." He said, sticking his hand out.

"And Harry and Ron, you'll teach them too?" she asked, holding her hand just away from his, awaiting his response. He glared at both men and nodded,

"as long as there's no more old school rivalry stuff. We're adults, no more of that. My name is Draco. You will treat my brood with respect, as well as myself. You will do your best to treat Kestral with respect, she's like a child to me." Hermione nodded, and shook his hand. He turned to Harry, who thought it was a reasonable request and shook his hand as well. When he turned to Ron he was scoffed at again, Ron scowling,

"I want to still call you Malfoy," he said through gritted teeth, causing Draco to laugh.

"I wouldn't imagine anything else, Weasley." Ron begrudgingly took his hand then, shaking it for as short a time as possible, wiping his hand on his trousers when the contact was broken. Draco merely rolled his eyes, turning to Hermione, he made a very pretty sound. Her eyes grew wide,

"I haven't heard that one, what was it?"

"Warbling," Draco said, smiling, "though we're all different. I usually only warble when my brood is all together, it's an instinct sort of thing. It's meant to be relaxing."

"You're like a bird then, a lot," Harry said thoughtfull and Draco nodded,

"it's the Harpy blood the Veela's have. Now, where should we start?"

"Lunch." Ron said, his stomach growling. Harry laughed while Hermione just looked embarassed. Draco sighed, rolling his eyes.

"Fine, then, lunch it is. I'll buy, it'll give us time to get used to each other anyway."

"Can you afford that?" Harry asked, knowing a large chunk of the Malfoy fortune had been taken from Draco and Narcissa at their trials. Draco nodded, gesturing around the shop,

"Yes, Harry, thank you for your consideration- but I am the main supplier to Hogwarts, the oter wizarding schools and St. Mungos now." he said proudly, his shoulders straightening.

"Would your wings have come out just then?" Hermione asked, her voice filled with curiosity.

"Yes, it's something we do when we're proud," Draco said as Narcissa swept into the room, Kestral on her heels. She looked around suspiciously.

"Good to see you all alive," she said, sweeping behind the counter and grabbing a calming draught, handing it to the little Veela, she scowled at the mess, "Dragon- *what* have you been looking for?"

"A picture of my wings, Mother. Gr-Hermione would like to see one."

"It's Weasley, actually, Draco, I meant to tell you that earlier. Ron and I got married."

"Congratulations." Draco said, grinning, "it figures."

Ron proudly puffed his chest out, putting his arm around Hermione's shoulder. Draco, Harry, and Hermione all rolled their eyes. Narcissa stepped delicately around Draco scowling.

"Your tail dear," she warned and Draco shifted a bit, moving it. She knelt down to look through the top drawer under the counter, pulling out another box and setting it next to him, "your pictures are here, dear. I did hear you talking about lunch didn't I?" Draco nodded, "well, I shall go get it something for all of us, I'd like to go get Kestral some new robes anyway. She's torn so many already, I'll have it sent down here." With that, Narcissa swept from the store, switching the sign to closed as she left. Draco picked up the box, and walked around the corner, gesturing toward the doorway with a slight bow,

"Shall we?"