Chapter 21

It had been nearly a month since Draco and Harry had become an item, though Draco had constantly denied Harry in any actual sex, they still spent most of their time together, and still pleasured each other. Harry had gotten himself in trouble, twice, for hesitating to hit Draco with a hex during their training. He'd very barely survived a severe tongue lashing from both Draco and Hermione by cowering behind Ron's large frame. They were all currently getting dressed to go out in the field again, and wearing Hermione's charmed cloaks. She'd finished them recently and this was their first outing. They'd had a bit of trouble, but no Veela nor Death Eater had outright attacked them. They all knew it was because Grimmauld place was so well protected. Finally, the tension broke as Auror Davis had owled them that morning that the Veelas were spotted not far from Malfoy Manor and Draco had been livid.

"I'm going to shred them," he was muttering, lacing and tying the new dragon hide boots Harry had bought for him. Harry sighed, collecting whatever supplies they might need into a small ruck sack.

"Draco, stay calm, please," he said quietly. They'd been out twice that week, with no Veelas being found, false alarms. However, Narcissa had owled as well, they were there and most likely looking for the Manor. She'd already gathered Kestral and abandoned ship as Draco had insisted she do if this situation were to arise.

"I will not. Kestral and Mother are not exactly powerful Veelas, Harry. This is borderline abusive, a show of power. I'll show them no sympathy."

"Well, you read what Davis said, Draco. They've taken down five more Death Eaters since we've been here at Grimmauld. There can't be that many more."

"Nor can there be that many more Veela, Millie said she'd killed three and frightened off one. Still though, this is dangerous. I want you to be careful, please."

"I will, Draco," Harry whined. They went over this every time they left Grimmauld. He wouldn't admit it but he actually found it quite endearing that Draco mothered over him so much.

"I'm serious, Harry, keep your eyes peeled. I have a bad feeling about this." Draco said warily, looking around the room to make sure they had everything. With that, they left, Flooing straight to Malfoy Manor.

They came out into what appeared to be a very nice study, covered in mahogany woodwork and shelves of books. They moved quickly, following behind Draco who didn't want to spend too much time here, not with Hermione there. She seemed tense already, remembering what had happened there and Draco felt miserable for her, watching inconspicuously as Ron slid his arm around her waist, an attempt at comfort. No one said a word, she'd hate it if they did and they all knew it.

The air was refreshing, banishing the bad memories that had stalked them all through the halls of the Manor, crying out from the shadows. Harry stepped closer, quickening his pace to take Draco's hand in his and squeezing it reassuringly. He knew what was going to happen, there would be a fight today. Just like Draco's 'bad feeling' Harry's gut told him to watch out. Ron and Hermione seemed to feel it too, eyes toward the sky. Before long they crossed the expansive gardens and neatly kept lawn into a forrest, everyone merely following Draco. They had never been this far onto the grounds, only the one- terrifying- trip inside and that had been at night.

Draco held up his hand, causing them all to stop, wands already drawn. He sniffed the air slightly, looking up into the branches and snarled, plucking a feather from a tree.

"This is a threat, they're actually threatening me on my own grounds." he growled, a frightening noise that came from the deepest part of his chest. Harry reached out to place a hand on his shoulder, reminding him to remain calm. Draco turned, looking at all of them, "this is it. Remember your training. Watch each other's backs. I'm going to draw them out."

"You be careful too...Ferret." Ron grumbled uncomfortably. He wasn't good at emotional situations, especially not with Draco. Harry approached the taller blonde, slinking his arms around his thin waist and kissing him quickly,

"be very careful. We'll be watching your back too." He pulled away after that, still watching the area carefully. The hair was standing up on the back of his neck and he knew they were close to danger. He just wondered how close, and he could clearly see the clearing they were being drawn too. An obvious trap.

"Alright, we're going to split up, they won't be expecting that," Draco said and Hermione nodded,

"agreed. If something happens where we're split, apparate back to Grimmauld."

They all nodded, this was always the plan- never the case. Just the plan.

"Ron," Draco said, surprising everyone with the use of his given name, "I want you to go to the right. Stay low and keep your hood up- your hair is a warning siren. Harry, to the left, stay low and quiet. Hermione, I want you to go with me, stop just outside the clearing. All of you, stay safe. Find a tree and get behind it. Do not come out until I can be sure."

"Of what?" Hermione asked

"How many are here," Draco replied, his hair shifting across his face in a sudden breeze. "Be careful," he whispered, and they all went their own ways, Ron to the right, Harry the left, and Hermione and Draco dead center. They stopped, waiting, for what- Hermione wasn't sure. Draco had his head inclined to the right and then to the left. It took her a moment to realize he was listening for Ron and Harry. She smiled, he was waiting for them to get to a safe position. Choosing a spot next to where the blonde stood, a large piece of tree trunk, she hunkered down- waiting. He nodded and walked the ten feet into the clearing.

Hermione rolled to her stomach, wand pointed, watching. She looked briefly for Harry or Ron but couldn't see them so she kept her eyes trained on Draco, watching his every movement as he walked across the small field. He was stepping slowly, head swivelling from side to side. Hermione was reminded of a movie she'd watched as a child, Bambi. Nott was there suddenly, swooping down from the whispy clouds, two other Veelas flanking him. They landed a safe distance from Draco, Nott having not forgotten their previous encounter.

"Draco, I know you didn't come alone. I can smell them, they're here." he said loudly, loud enough that the hidden Gryffindors could hear him. Draco shrugged,

"They can fend for themselves." he replied casually, glancing to the opposite side of the field from Hermione. How clever, she thought, guiding him away from where they were. The two Veelas raced into the woods suddenly, having dumbly picked up on Draco's nervousness but not the lie. He snarled, lunging for Nott with a strange cry. Nott dodge Draco easily, slashing at him.

"I will find him, Draco," he said, clucking his tongue disapprovingly, "and I will keep him as my own for a while."

Hermione looked around herself for a moment, making sure she was safe. She'd called the Aurors department and told them to come, where were they?

"I don't know who or what you're talking about Nott," Draco said cooly, sneering.

"Did I tell you, Draco? I've made my own brood. We have an interesting addition- just last night."

"Oh?" Draco asked, suddenly appearing very interested. The hidden Gryffindors didn't think that that was apart of the act and all three watched nervously.

"Yes, an old school mate of ours, I'm sure you remember her." Nott said as at least six other Veelas landed in the clearing, "Pansy Parkinson." Nott called out as the Veelas, one of them including Pansy, lunged onto the blonde. A flash of light came from both the corners of her vision. Ron and Harry, rushing in. Hermione cried out, diving in after them. They raced toward the pile of snarling Veelas, hexes being thrown this way and that. Hermione vaguely realized she was being followed just as a hex flew by her head. Her Auror training, as well as Harry and Ron's kicked in over their training with Draco as they ran- barely managing to dodge the hexes from the Death Eaters behind them.