guilty

Lucas needs to leave me alone. I put my phone on silent and momentarily considered blocking him. I get that he's trying to be supportive but this is a bit much. I dragged my feet outside the school, not wanting to remember the memories that Riley and I made here. Resting my back against the brick wall, I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. Rumours spread fast and no matter how I much I try, I can't seem to remember to forget her.

"-this was a bad idea. I should've never agreed to your offer." A nervous voice spoke lowly from around the corner.

Probably another drug deal. I thought to myself. The voice sounded familiar but it could've been anyone. I sat down against the side of the wall, knowing that the two people involved in the drug deal probably couldn't see me from around the corner.

Fresh air was nice. I closed my eyes and tried to clear my mind as best I could with two people yelling to my side. it.

"I need to tell someone, this ain't right." That same voice muttered again, fear dripping in his voice. First time stoner guilty conscience, I guess.

As I began to relax, the voices slowly tuned themselves out and it was just me and mother nature.

My eyes shot open when I heard it. It was a different voice this time, but the same uncertainty and hushed anger came through. "You tell anyone, and I'll kill you the same way I killed him."

Oh my god. I need to leave.

My legs felt like noodles when I got up but I ignored the feeling and ran. Looking back, running was the stupidest option given that it was the loudest and most attention drawing but it's all behind me now I guess.

"Is anyone there?" I heard her voice call after me when she heard the rapid footsteps. The voice was unmistakable for anyone else's.

I caught my breath against the wall on the inside of the school and continued to listen to Danielle's hushed whispers. "Farkle we need to leave, someone's here."

~

When Lucas opened his front door, relief rushed through his body. "Maya! I was so worried about you. You haven't been answering any of my calls or texts."

I rolled my eyes jokingly and let myself in. "Stop being so clingy, I'm gay." I teased.

He chuckled slightly (as much as you could when one of your childhood best friends has been charged with the murder of your other childhood best friend). "Is something wrong?" He asked.

"Yes, something is very very wrong." I frowned

He cocked an eyebrow at me. "Well are you going to tell me, or.."

"I want to, but please wait until I'm finished before you say something okay?"

Lucas nodded obediently.

"Riley is innocent," I started off, causing Lucas to wince.

"You need to let it go Maya it's not-"

I cut him off by shooting him a death glare. "Let me finish, you promised."

"Okay."