apologies

RILEY POV

The feeling of cold cement against my back as I sat on the floor of the holding cell in the police station was strangely familiar. Oh right, this is my second time being put in jail for something I didn't do. I rolled my eyes at the reminder of what has become of my life and sighed even louder, wishing someone could hear me.

My eyelids were heavy and I could feel them beginning to give in to the temptation of sleep until I heard something.  Footsteps came closer and closer, causing my head to shoot up in anticipation. Could it be Maya? Maybe she came to rescue me just like I thought she would.

Instead, a tall muscular police officer with broad shoulders walked into the field of vision. "Riley Matthews?"

I nodded, silent.

He let out some sort of a grunt of acknowledgement before pulling out his keys and fiddling with the lock. "Get up. You're free kiddo."

My eyes widened with shock. "Why?"

The officer shrugged nonchalantly "Some kid came in and confessed to framing you. We don't have legal authority to keep you in this cell anymore."

My lips pressed into a firm line. I was framed? Dusting my pants as I stood up, I asked "Can I call my parents? I don't have a way home."

He shut the cell closed behind me as I walked out. "No need, they're all out there waiting for you."

"Really?" I was so thankful to have a family that would support me through thick and thin. "Um.. do you happen to know if Maya Hart is there too?"

He raised an eyebrow at me, prompting me to explain more.

"Short, blonde hair. Kind of sassy, really cute." I blushed

"Oh.." he trailed off. "That girl? She left as soon as I announced to your family that you were being released." The man said casually and gestured for me to follow him.

I nodded solemnly and followed him in short strides. Maya promised she wouldn't leave my side. We had been through thick and thin together and the moment it's all over is when she chooses to leave. I should've known better than to put all my trust into one person like that. After what happened with Danielle before Mason's death, my walls were built high but Maya broke them down again.

Bits and pieces of my memory were starting to come back now as I interacted more and more with the people from my life before it all went downhill.

I thought back to a memory that appeared out of nowhere. It's almost as if it had left my mind only to come back in this very second to taunt me.

We were lounging on my bed, laying across it vertically in opposite directions and looking up at my ceiling.

Danielle's hands were folded across her stomach just like mine were. "Your feet stink." I teased, scrunching my nose playfully.

She sat up and laughed, throwing a pillow at me. "Says the girl who just came back from a 2 hour cheer practice! I've been too polite to say something this whole time!"

We both giggled, and I rolled over on my bed, grabbing my stomach from all the laughter.

"Hey." Danielle interrupted suddenly, immediately changing the atmosphere of the room to something much more serious.