Secrets

PART 1

She couldn't breathe. She had done it. She hadn't wanted to but she had killed him. It wasn't her plan but it had been her hands. He was gone. He wouldn't ever see the blue sky, nor experiment tasting different foods. He wouldn't ever know what it was like to breathe again. The way things were going right now she wasn't sure that she would taste anything either. Why her? Why did she have to be the one that had to end his life? She couldn't go on like this. Everyday it was the same. She would hide this secret in her basement and no one would be the wiser. She stood and walked over to the basement's sink and washed her hands. She wiped them and dried them. She got a black plastic bag and lifted the body inside. She groaned under the dead weight. Never before had she killed so large a person. She wished it had been different. She wished that she hadn't been the one chosen to end his life. She knew she couldn't change what she had done, but she could hide it from everyone else. She opened the hidden panel that was the wall of the basement and threw the body on top of the thirteen others. She had gotten the hidden panel idea from the story "The Black Cat". It had been a great idea to her when this craziness started happening. She closed the panel door and locked it and turned around. A small red light was beaming at her from a nook in the ceiling. She stepped closer and when it turned she realized. She was caught. She had been videotaped this entire time. She raised her hands in surrender just as two cops ran down the stairs, their guns pointed at her. She visibly swallowed and stepped forward and then everything was black.

She was sitting in the police office and she was ready. They told her she would be questioned about the bodies and why she did what she did. She wouldn't be told how they'd found her out but she knew anyways. They thought that she was dumb. She was anything but. She hadn't known when the camera had been installed but she did find out.  Why was someone following her? She knew that, too. Being part of the Mafia had its advantages. She followed the officer's instructions to the dark room. She sat down on the chair and smiled. The officer looked at her and asked if she had any last words. She smiled sweetly and said, "This is not over." The officer injected the syringe into her arm and she smiled again. Another officer came and the first "officer" removed his mask. She recognized him instantly. He smiled at her and said,

"Ready to go?"

They escaped through the narrow passageways used only for emergency. They hailed a cab and rode to headquarters. Once they arrived they went in and met with their chief who was commonly called, The Chief. The Chief was a very fierce man who didn't back down from any challenge. He stood at the head of a long table and looked at the two who were seated on the other side. The Chief smiled.

"You did good. You both, I mean."

He started pacing about the table and faced away from them. "Unfortunately, they are getting better. So we'll need to try it again except this time one of us will have to die." The Chief turned and watched the two glance at each other. "Well, fortunately it won't be any of you. But, it will be someone. Someone who looks like you." He said looking pointedly at the girl.

She jumped up. "Not my twin!"

The Chief shook his head no. "It's one of the newbies. She looks almost exactly like you but she is not you. She has a mole behind her left ear and you do not. Otherwise you look exactly like each other."

She nodded and sat back down. The Chief nodded and they left. A few months later though, she got caught. And, they went through the same process they had done the first time. The police made sure that there was extra security. They brought her and led her to the gurney and tied her down. They then proceeded to put the drugs into IVs and then asked for her last statement. She said, "I'm glad you've got me." The drugs were released and she died after eight minutes. On the other side of the curtain stood a girl.  Smiling she stepped away from the glass window and walked away. She did not have a mole behind her ear.