Introductions

Dani: Hey loser! I'm home. Hope this is the right number.

Maya: It's the right number. Welcome home. Still a bitch?

Dani: Always. Up for coffee?

Maya: How close are you to the village?

Dani: I'm the one with a car remember?

Maya: Place named Topanga's. Heard of it?

Dani: I'll have Siri find it. See you in 20.

Maya grabbed her bag and ran downstairs. Her mother called out to her as she passed by, "Where are you going?"

"Just to the café. Riley is working, and Dani just got released. We're meeting for coffee," Maya answered as she tied her shoes.

"You still have one more week. You know the rules, Maya. I'll get dressed to take you," Katy said as she stood up from the couch.

"Mom, I promise I'm going straight there. The GPS on my phone is on, and I won't leave until Riley is off work," she pleaded.

Katy thought for a moment before answering, "You will have Riley text me the moment you get there. I make that trip every day for work so I know it should take you no more than ten minutes. Any longer and we will have issues."

A wide smile crossed Maya's face, "Thank you!" She ran to her mom to embrace her. "Thank you for trusting me."

"I'm no going to lie, baby girl. Trusting you these last couple weeks has been hard, but you've shown me no reason to think you're going to slip down that path again. Do not make me regret this," Katy said as she savored the hug from her daughter.

Maya backed away, tears forming in her eyes, "I swear I won't. I'm never doing that again." She stepped away and turned to the door. Her hand paused on the handle as a though came to her, "Mom?"

"Yes?"

Maya turned back to face Katy, "I know trusting me is hard, and there are all these rules we are supposed to follow. I was thinking, maybe we could talk on the phone while I walk there? That way you'll still be with me. I just don't want you to have any doubts."

Katy smiled at her daughter, "I think that sounds like a wonderful compromise. Perhaps one we can instate going forward until we're clear of the doctor's timeframe."

"Seriously?" Maya smiled back, feeling the hope of newfound freedom.

"I already gave you permission to go, and rather than leave you wanted to prove I could trust you. That was very mature of you, baby girl," she walked over to give Maya another hug. "I think we're going to be alright." Katy placed a kiss on top of her daughter's head as she opened the door for her. "Call me before you leave the building, and we can talk the walk there. I love you."

"Already finding your number," Maya yelled as she took off down the hall, cell phone in hand. "Love you too, Mom!"

-

Riley was busy wiping down the counter when she looked up to see her girlfriend walking past the café window. She dropped the rag and ran outside to confront her.

"Maya, what are you doing?" She yelled in the most authoritative voice she could muster. "Are you trying to get sent back? Why would you risk such a stupid thing?"

Maya pressed her lips into a thin line as she pressed her cell phone to her girlfriend's cheek.

"Hello?" Riley asked into the phone, her voice strained with confusion. "Oh, hi Mrs. Hunt- I mean Katy ... I didn't realize ... Oh this is new," she glared at Maya who appeared to be holding back laughter. "Yes, I'll make sure she's home on time. Thanks. Bye."