Wherever You're Not - Teaser

"AJ..." The older woman reached out but her hand fell short of brushing against the younger woman standing in the doorway.

"Don't call me that." The tone of her voice may have been flat, but her physical reaction was sudden and sharp, a jolt almost of revulsion as her eyes flashed with anger.

"It's your name."

"No mum. My name is Alicia Jade - you should know, you named me."

Looking her only child in the eyes, Maria Gray realised that she was dealing with a broken, damaged person. She sighed, knowing she had lost this dispute. Her daughter was a stubborn young woman, and if she had set her mind on something, there was usually no way to dissuade her from trying to do whatever it was.

But maybe the girl was right. Maybe time really could heal her wounds, and maybe distance would help.

Alicia seemed to recognise the pain her mother was mentally experiencing and sighed, leaning down to grasp her mother's hand, "Other than you, all I have in this city is pain. I need to start again. Somewhere new. Make something of myself - save myself from the waster I've become." She took a deep breath, blinking back the tears welling in her eyes and choosing to ignore the tears flowing freely down her mother's face, "I've got to do this alone. You've given me too many chances that I've thrown away. It's up to me to turn my life around now, but I swear to you, this time I won't fail. I swear."

AN: Hey guys! This is a little teaser for an idea I've been working on... thoughts and opinions please? Would you read something based on this?