Part 3

We were almost to the theater
when America stopped. She turned toward the window and gasped, "It's raining." She let go of me and rushed towards the window, pressing her hand against the glass. I thought about it for a second, and realized it hasn't rained since the selected arrived. It didn't rain very often in Angelus, and I guessed maybe America missed that about Carolina. I looked back over at her. She was so adorable, just in awe staring out the window.

"It's so beautiful," she
whispered. I smiled. She was the only one of the thirty-five girls that had been brought here who had this kind of optimism. The littlest things could make her happy, strawberry tarts, pants, and even rain. I wrapped my arm around her waist. "Leave it to you to find beauty in something others would say ruins a day." She leaned toward me a little, but didn't take her eyes off the window. "I wish I could touch it."

It made me so sad that I
couldn't provide that for her. I wanted to give her everything, and in these moments it was like she  was all that mattered to me. She asked for so little, and it made me feel like a failure that I couldn't even take her outside. "I know you do but it's just not-"

possible, I thought. Unless it was. America looked at me, perhaps to see why I cut myself off. I looked up and down the hall. She did the same. Besides a few guards, we were completely alone. We can make it.

"Come on," I said, grabbing
America's hand. "Let's hope we're not seen." I loved these moments, when we got to have something between just the two of us. Like when I took her to the secret library, or when I took her to the princess suite and she got to see Marlee, and that time in the safe room when it was just me and her. Even though the library thing ended in a disaster, I had no regrets. Those things made her happy, and nothing made me happier than seeing America happy. I would do anything for her.