Three

"My sister?" I scoffed, "Yeah right

"My sister?" I scoffed, "Yeah right. I don't have a sister. Plus we look nothing a like."

"I couldn't exactly walk around you home looking like your sister. It was safer if I wore contacts and dyed my hair. Mother didn't want there to be a chance of recognizing her in me."

She skipped out of the room, right into the bathroom and carefully took out her contacts. I followed her cautiously. Callie turned around.

I gasped at the sight of Callie's eyes. Her eyes were almost identical. The same stunning green. The resemblance was uncanny.

"Okay. Let's just pretend I believe you. Where are our parents then?" I hypothetically questioned as we walked out of the museum. My brain was buzzing, could Callie be right? Not wanting to be hopeful I wasn't jumping to conclusions. We did have similar features and I had no idea of what my supposedly biological father looked like.

"In Evorah of course! Didn't Mother ever tell you? The stories of our home?" Callie asked, a longing look in her eyes as she spoke the name. I furrowed my eyebrows as I tried to remember that name. Evorah. Had my mum ever spoken that name? The stories however, I knew of. My thoughts drifted to one night when I was nine.

I was cozied up in bed. My mum sat at the end smiling down at me. "The trees sparkled almost like magic whenever the sun rose, the people of Evendale were always rushing. Everyone had a purpose. Magic lived in the air. Children playing in the gardens, the teenagers would hang around the shops or the meadows practicing their magic. It was beautiful and welcoming."

As a child I was mesmerized by the idea. My overactive imagination picturing it all.

"So the people had powers mummy? Like magic? Could they fly? Could change my oatmeal to ice-cream?" I scrunched my nose. I hated oatmeal. Mum just nodded and continued on with the story. A mysterious girl falling in love with a handsome prince.

My eyes were watery but I quickly blinked the tears away before Callie noticed. "She never mentioned an Evorah in her stories, only Evendale." Callie grinned as we walked through the streets.

A whiff of coffee caught my attention. I turned to see a coffee shop, "Want a coffee and cake?" Callie bobbed her head eagerly. She was, however mature she seemed at times, still only ten.

Callie and I sat at a small café together. We were awkwardly quiet until Callie spoke up, "Evendale is where I was born. It is my home. Evorah is the world itself."

I nodded; continued to stare into my coffee. Still unsure of how to ask what I was dying to ask. I didn't understand why but for some reason she believed Callie. I still struggled to believe we were sisters.

"Why... Why did mum leave me?" I stammered. I was both afraid and anxious for the answer. If my mother never died, why did she leave me and not take me with her?

"Our mother didn't leave you. She was taken from you. You and I are from a different world, and sometimes if we," Callie was careful with her wording, "Fall through the space, into this world. We travel through a sort of rift, into this world. The rifts aren't in certain places, they appear at random times in random places."

"When she disappeared, she knew a rift was opening near her soon. She kind of felt it. Mother had already put a plan in place for if this were to happen. Jeff would pretend she died. Our mother still misses you. Even our father does and he has never met you! He knew Mother was pregnant but he never got to properly meet you." I listened carefully as Callie explained. A sudden longing for my mother caused my heart to ache.

***

It was nice, as much as I hated to admit it.

Sitting down and just talking to Callie. It seemed to also heal some empty hole inside me, one I never knew existed. The whole was one that longed for family, the love it brings, and my mother. The thought of having another father, one that might care for me in a way so much deeper than my dad seemed to. We talked and talked, I asked as many questions as I could. Callie answered all of my questions about our parents and yet I still had more questions. It suddenly occurred to me as we walked back towards my suburb. How was Callie here?

"Callie, how did you get here?" Callie smiled, like she had a secret before whispering, "I made a rift!"

"So wait. In the other world, Evorah, people really have powers?" I asked curiously, Callie nodded. I smiled, but the smile didn't last, "I don't."

Callie looked over at me with sympathy, "I know. It doesn't happen for everyone. Mother and Father thought I wouldn't gain my abilities. The manifestation was late. But they came, my powers are fairly broad. I manipulate space, hence the rifts, I can move objects and I might be able to travel long distances in seconds, like create a rift that instead of travelling worlds creates a bridge into another section of that world. You'd think it'd be easier but it isn't."

I nodded before shooting a glance at my watch, "I should be getting home soon."

"I know."

A sudden thought occurred to me, how would I ever see my mother again? Would I have to wait for a rift to find me? Turning to my sister I nervously asked, "How will I get to the other world?"

Callie let out a childish giggle and she skipped around the pathways, "Evorah? That's what I am here for silly! Why do you think I came here? Mother couldn't come because of her duties and I would have had to come anyway so they sent me by myself. When you are ready, I will take you home!"

I stared at my house ahead of us. Could I leave this, could I leave the man who raised her? I didn't know if I would be able to live with the guilt of being the cause of my dad, correction Jeff's, mental state to worsen.

Like it did when mum left...

AUTHOR'S NOTE

Okay! Back to normal now. It'll be Charlotte for a while!

This is the last one I am going to post for now. I will post the next chapter in a week. After I have reached my writing goal of having written (hopefully) at least ten chapters!

Oh by the way, question, do you the reader think my chapters are short?

Thank You for reading!