Ten

We packed and left early that morning

We packed and left early that morning. I had spent the night trying not to grin wildly with satisfaction. I finally knew his name. It was even more pleasing when he made it obvious that he didn't like it.

My feet were beginning to hurt again, blisters formed from the excessive walking. I didn't give voice to my pain. The walking must have been getting to my head as well. There were moments when I would see a blur of red rush past a distant tree or plant. Dismissing it as a figment of my imagination, I kept my mouth shut about what I kept seeing.

Andy Reets. I still couldn't believe that I knew his name. Was Andy short for Andrew? Why didn't he want me knowing his name? Amid the quietness of the forest such questions tumbled through my mind, clouding my thoughts.

I glanced at him, the sun bounced of his hair. It made him glow. Just the sight of him made my chest tighten and my breathing became uneven. Looking at him, it was all I could do to not reach and brush that lone strand of hair out of his face.

Gasping, I pulled my hand back just as he turned to glance at me. Why would I think such thoughts? I was shocked and confused.

"What?"

I coughed, unsure what to say. He wore a puzzled expression as he stared at me. "Um. It's nothing. Nothing at all!"

He shook his head and turned away from me. Then we continued to walk in our usual silence.

***

As we walked I felt things had changed; at least since we had left the inn. I occasionally even caught him glancing back it me with an expression I couldn't place. Or he would jump at random moments, just a branch snapping set him off. Had something happened while I slept to worry him?

"Andy, will you tell me what happened with the explosion?" I asked softly. I didn't want to push him to far.

"I told you," he looked me and sighed, "You come from a powerful and influential family. Just your mere presence in our world is noticeable. When I first saw you, I could feel it. Your power Charlotte." I stared ahead, I didn't know what to say to his sudden honesty.

"My power?" I repeatedly slowly. "I don't have power."

"You will see very soon Charlotte. Your power is like a single star in an abyss of darkness. It shines so bright. It will draw people to you."

"You are just imagining things Andy," I retorted. I almost couldn't get enough of saying his name.

He glared at me, "Dammit Charlotte! Stop underestimating yourself. It will be your downfall. Don't  you understand?"