Prologue

A/N After many years, I am inspired to write again. I am in the process of editing and updating this story. I'm going to see where this takes me!

Prologue

'Speak now or forever hold your peace.' Seven words. These seven words changed my life. They were merely syllables spoken from someone's mouth, yet they managed to slice my broken heart into tiny pieces. At first, I willed myself smile on their wedding day and pretended that I was enjoying their party. However, as the day progressed, tears started to pour down. Honestly, I knew it was selfish and mean to direct my hatred towards the bride, but those sensations just flowed out.

I felt ashamed to have such an ugly touch of jealousy in me, yet the sourness wouldn't disappear. 'Aaria, it's okay. I'm here. . . Aaria, guess what!. . . Aaria . . 'Every time he called my name, the softness in his voice made me melt. It broke my heart knowing that our relationship would never be the same anymore. We shared so many memories together. But for the past three months, I began wondering if those memories had a significant meaning to him.

My world turned upside down the day he announced his marriage. He brought me to our favorite cafe and said he had a surprise. I sat on the edge of my seat, and my heart pounded in anticipation. After all, this was the first surprise he had ever planned for me. Finally, he nudged me to sit down and told me to wait a minute. After shuffling in my seat for a few minutes, a girl with bright blonde hair and misty gray eyes walked into the cafe. He beamed and ran right to her like a puppy. I was still confused until they sat down. Then, out of the corner of my eyes, I saw a massive diamond ring on her ring finger, and that was when my world crashed.

Our great-grandfathers bought a beach together. Since my family had most of the rights, Lucas thought it was necessary to ask me if they could use it for their wedding. He said he was requesting this as an "older brother." I couldn't help but laugh bitterly. I wanted to say, 'No, stay away from the beach. Better yet, stay away from your bride.' But, instead, all I did was nod.

I excused myself from the table. After I exited the restaurant, my walk broke out into a run. I ran aimlessly for hours and clutched my chest. I felt like I was dying, like everyone in the world had turned against me. Then, slowly, numbness overrode the pain.

My wolf took me by surprise and dragged me out of the memories. It pounced and started to slam into the mental barrier I placed between my wolf and me. I couldn't allow Levy to take control. Although it pained me to see him getting promised to another, I would hate myself for ruining his wedding.

'Damn it, Levy, I told you to stay put!' Levy growled in response. She tried to take advantage of my emotional turmoil and break free. But it was no use; she was weak from our mating bond slowly dying. Nonetheless, it was already too late. The ceremony was about to end.

When a wolf's mate gets promised another, the undeveloped, fragile bond would be broken. The moment I set my eyes on him, I knew it would be hard to tell him the truth. He was a human. It wasn't bad to be a human, but our wolves usually picked up the mating connection first in most mating cases. Lucas did not have a wolf, so he never knew about the mating process or the actual existence of mates.

Looking back, it was my fault. I had my chance for the past ten years, but I chose to wait. I kept my distance, wondering if he would naturally fall in love with me. I didn't want us to be forced together by a stupid bond. I was too naive. He never saw me as a possible lover.

I went through different phrases: confusion, denial, and sadness. But after many sleepless nights, I made a decision. I couldn't receive his love nor give him my blessings, so I decided to disappear from his life. If he found out about the mating, it would be painful for all parties. I wouldn't want that.

In slow motion, he slipped on her ring and right at that moment scorching pain shot through my entire being. Thunderous claps echoed through the beach, as I slowly dragged myself to the road where a car was waiting. I doubled over, clutching my chest as all air squeezed out of me. Sweat dripped down my head and for the first time since that horrendous day, my tears fell freely. Even if it killed me now, the truth would be hidden. He was now married to someone he cherished.

A man in a black suit walked up to me and stated monotonously, "This is your last chance before you sign your life away. You still have time to back out of this." Instead of answering him, I pulled myself into the car.

A/N   -Edited by Hemmo1996- Thank you so much! 

Please like, comment, and fan if you enjoyed my story. I know it may sound cliche right now but it will get better. Anyways tell me what you think!