Chapter 1

Marielle

I sat softly singing to my son Maddix as he drifted off to sleep resting his big head on my chest. His little hands were clutching my shoulders for dear life. I looked up at my assistant and often mistaken twin Nina who was smiling at me. I’m Marielle Daniels otherwise known as Mari D. I was once looked at as America’s daughter because my twin brother and I grew up on TV. And until a year ago I was known to America as the golden boy’s baby mama. I was finally able to let go of the title when I followed my heart and jumped head first back into my first passion which is singing. I’m no Beyoncé yet but within this year I have created quite the buzz in the industry. Now my family is a money team, my twin Roderico Daniels (Rico) produces the beats and I sing them. My cousin Nina is my assistant, my mom is my manager, and my best friend Mai Quinn is an up and coming fashion designer and my personal stylist. I was currently supposed to be having a business lunch but my momager is running late.

Nina: Are you happy he’s about to leave the terrible two’s?

Me: I didn’t think he was all that bad, but he’s growing up on me and I don’t like it!

My son is my life and literally everything that I do is for him. I had a great life growing up with anything I wanted so of course I want him to have that times two! The waitress came with our drinks and my mother finally arrived so we decided to order.

Mom: Oh look at my little prince what did you do to him?

Nina: She let him run around at the park for an hour!

She was trying to hold in her giggle because that has been my trick to getting through meetings with him around since he started walking. My mom gave everyone a hug and kiss before sitting between Nina and I.

Mom: Alright I called this meeting because your album artwork is done and most of your tracks have been mastered!

I smiled but I caught what she was saying.

Me: What do you mean most of my tracks; my fans are waiting on an album mommy!

I looked at Nina who was smiling to herself and I knew something was up.

Mom: Well the label loves the music they’ve heard so far and while they like the two collabs that you have with Schoolboy Q and Jhene Aiko they feel that you need a bigger name to help sale this album…

I was not picking up what she was putting down so I leveled her with my spit it out look. And I of course noticed that Nina was still smiling like an idiot!

Mom: As you know I sat down with the execs today to discuss the finishing details of your album. They brought to my attention that a certain someone had his team contact ours to get on one of your tracks that he overheard when he was in the studio across from one of Rico’s sessions!

Me: Alright so who is it and what song?

Mom: Drake and he wants to get on a remix to Black Water!

Now I know that most people would be happy to hear that Drake wants to be on one of their songs but Black Water is my baby and I feel like all he will do is taint it. I gave my mom a skeptical look, and she returned it with a pleading one. She looked to Nina and Nina cleared her throat and started in on me.

Nina: Mari at least have a meeting of the minds with him in the studio tonight, he really wants to meet you and talk to you!

Me: Have you people forgotten that I’m meeting with uncle Usher to work on writing with him, where will Drake fit into my schedule?

There they can’t say no to Usher my family loves him, he’s like my dad’s little brother! (My daddy is a Record Exec. And the reason for my record deal besides my pure talent!)