Chapter 9

Left. Right. Left. Right kick. Right. Left. Right. Left kick.
The repetitive and physically exhausting task of kick boxing with one of the punch bags in the basement gym helped calm me down and work off some of my anger. If my dad could see me now I swear the old grouch would have a fit. You shouldn't learn self defence or do any such hard sports Emily, that is not a woman's place. I'll buy you a taser if you want but you won't need it, we have Kieran to deal with threats. The most physical exercise a woman should do is ballet or Pilates, something feminine.
Gosh I used to hate that. I hate ballet. I hate Pilates even more and I swear if it hadn't been for YouTube videos giving me the opportunity to learn more interesting physical endeavours then I would've gone insane. I know my dad only wanted what was best for me, well most of the time. Probably.
I hit the bag twice as hard to try and eleviate myself of that thought process, to be honest one that preoccupies me far too often.
Left. Right. Left. Right kick. Right. Left. Right. Left kick.
"Go easy on that thing will you? We only have one and Connor needs it to train for his boxing match next week. "
I spin around mid swing and nearly knock out poor David behind me who manages to jump out of the way.
"Wow, who knew someone so petite could hold so much anger? It's like your body's too small to experience more than one overwhelming feeling at once!"
I huff at him and walk over to sit against the wall while unstrapping and taking off my wrist supports, "I'm not God damn Tinkerbell."
He sits down beside me and looks at me in confusion while I take a large gulp of my water before he asks, "What the Hell are you talking about?"
I cap the bottle and just look at him, "Tinkerbell, from Peter Pan? She's so small she can only experience one emotion at a time. J.M. Barrie obviously liked making jokes at the expense of little people too. Read your Classics."
He holds his hands up in surrender, "Ok Miss, whatever. But I wouldn't call Peter Pan a classic."
"Well I disagree and I am higher up the food chain than you so deal with it," I say as I get up and walk towards the stairs with every intention of changing out of these sweaty clothes.
David follows, deciding to utilise the long walk from the basement gym to my top floor apartment for what sounded like a lecture in the making.
"Miss Hamilton I hate to burst your bubble there but given what happened earlier I would hardly say you're higher up the food chain."
I throw him a quick scowl without breaking stride, "Well I can guarantee you had your thumb stuck in that pie so I wouldn't be reminding me of it if I was you incase I decide to throw you in detention for the rest of the year like I'm tempted."
"Wow hold your horses there Miss, innocent until proven guilty right? This isn't the Middle Ages."
"Ha," I give a hollow laugh at that, "The way I've been treated by basically every male here since I've came here except for Professor Michael begs me to differ. It's like this place never entered the 20th century let alone the 21st! I mean God damn I'm used to sexism with a family like mine but at least I was respected!"
"Hey that's not fair! I sure as Hell haven't done anything and I'msure no one else has either!"
"Oh really? Headmaster Black thinks I'm inadequate because of my gender, all of my classes disrespected me, the other staff looked at me like I was some sort of alien species and just stared and of course my health class immediately dismissed my abilities for my gender too. And then all of you fecking walk all over me and basically spit on my good intentions and attempts to win you over. I don't care if you deny that last one in sexism or not, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't walk over a man like that and even if it isn't sexism it isn't right! So don't you dare try to convince me everything is sunshine and daisies David Harte!"
I finally make it to my apartment and open the door with my key and storm in, leaving it open knowing David will just follow.
"Well you aren't exactly fighting the corner of feminism very well by- Where the Hell is all your stuff?"
I collapse on the seventies armchair which seemed to be the only thing left in the room.
"The old matron has probably just sent for her furniture earlier than expected,I had a bit more this morning if I remember right."
I push myself up from the chair and check the other rooms. I was basically just left with that arm chair and a mattress and a few pieces of cutlery and crockery. There was also a note on the kitchen counter informing me that it had all been shipped off to the old matron indeed with the exception of the arm chair which she apparently hated with a passion anyway. I walk back into the sparse living area and collapse into the old armchair (which I have to admit is hideous), David is still just looking around in shock.
"It's ok, not ideal timing but I'll sort something. I'll have to pay a visit to Max in administration tomorrow to see what I can find furniture wise and ask about getting my furniture budget. I'll be able to get an office desk at least from somewhere I'm sure and maybe find a table or 2. And I'm sure the budget will about cover the bed and a new mattress."
David just looks at me, "But there's nothing in here. I thought dorm masters got a fully furnished plush apartment!"
I laugh genuinely at that and smile, "Urban myth, all public schools are the same. Bare minimum, furnish yourself sort of situations."
I stand and point him to the door, "Now if you aren't having a mental breakdown or are bleeding to death I would quite like to start getting on with the lesson plans I have to write. If the guys start quitting or slacking off if you could please remind them I'll be down later and if the place isn't clean then there will be Hell to pay, that would be much appreciated."
David sort of snaps out of his and starts walking out the door but just before he leaves he turns to me, "Will you be alright living here with so little right now? You could have my dorm if you want, I could bunk with Campbell or-"
I give him a grateful smile but cut him off, "The offer is appreciated David but unnecessary. The situation is temporary and I will live. I'll see you later."
Then I close the door behind him, feeling a little guilty about lying to him about the furniture situation but I will live.
I head towards the bedroom in search of some more comfortable and less sweaty clothes to wear before I start into the lesson plans.
***