Chapter 5.2

You were awake on your bed in your room. You couldn't sleep so you decided to go watch some T.V. As you walked out of your room, you glanced at Donnie's door. Donnie has been having trouble sleeping due to feverish dreams. You decided to just take a quick peek. You slowly opened the door a crack and peeked in. Donnie slightly raised his head. "Hey, (Y/N)." He said. "Did I wake you?" You said feeling guilty. "No, I've been awake for some time." He replied. "Do you need anything?" You asked. "Could you get me some more water?" "Sure thing!" You went to the kitchen and got some water. You came back to Donnie's room and walked to his bedside. As he drank, you felt his forehead. You frowned. "You have a fever again. I can make you some more garlic tea." You offered. "No thanks, I don't think I can handle a sip of that." Donnie said. "What about a couple of pills?" You asked. Donnie shook his head no. "Hmm..." You thought. "Let's try another trick I know." You said. "Be right back."

You came back with three washcloths and a bowl of water. You soaked and wrung out all three, placed one on Donnie's forehead and the other two on each of Donnie's ankles. "How does that feel?" You asked. "Refreshing, thanks." He said with a weak smile. "Any luck with sleeping?" "No, this fever is keeping me restless. What about you?" "Just a night that I can't sleep either." "Feel like chatting?" He asked. "Sure." You replied.

You guys chatted and shared a few giggles. Then you realized April came over earlier in the evening and hung out with Donnie. "What did you and April chat about earlier?" You asked. "She just wanted to check up on me and talk about that Masquerade Ball you guys will be having at your school." He said. "Oh yeah, it's in two months, some kids plan to come in a full costume instead of a formal outfit and mask." You said. "Are you going?" Donnie asked. "I would like to but it's better to bring a date than go by yourself." You said. "I'm assuming April is going with Casey." You said. "Actually no." He replied. You were surprised. "But...why?" You asked. "Casey told April that he was going to be out of town during that week." "So she is just going by herself?" You questioned. "No, she asked me." Donnie said.

Your heart skipped a beat and then began to beat rapidly. "Asked you to the dance?" You asked. "Yes, she asked me to go with her." He answered. You felt your stomach twinge in anxiety and sadness but you continued asking questions. "Did she mean like as friends or as an actual date?" You asked. "She said that she wanted to go as friends." He replied strangely calm. You felt relief sweep over you but you were curious. "You do not mind going as friends?" You asked. "I was surprised with myself also, I assumed I would be a little upset but I do not feel affected the least." He explained. "Do you think April would mind if I stick close to you guys?" "I don't think she would mind the least, she was talking about hanging out with you there as well." He informed. You felt immensely better, they were going as friends and Donnie doesn't (well doesn't seem) to mind.

"(Y/N), now I want to ask you a question." He said. "Of course Donnie." You said. "I don't understand, you always do things for me and enjoy hanging out with me so much, and here you are nursing me back to health; why?" He asked sincerely. Your heart thumped and your face heated up. "What do you mean "why?"?" You asked nonchalantly. Donnie sat up and looked directly at you. "I hang out with April all the time and even though she shows her appreciation, she never considers doing me favors, not that there isn't anything wrong with that, but here you are always willing to help without any too little complaining, having fun hanging out with me, when there are many other things you could do with my brothers, and now here you are staying awake at 1:00 am making sure I'm comfortable, why do you do all that?" He asked seriously. You heart was slamming against your rib cage, you felt like you were about to cry. You so desperately wanted to tell him why you are doing all of these things, but you can't, because you were afraid of what would happen.

"Well," You began taking a large breath to calm yourself. "It's because I care about you greatly, and you are a lot of fun to hang out with, and I feel it's only natural to return the favors." You explained; even though that was half-true. Donnie smiled. "I see; I'm glad you feel that way about me." He said as he lied back down. He yawned. "Tired enough to go back to sleep?" You asked. "Yeah, could you get me more water please?" He asked drowsily. "Of course." You replied, taking the cup and going back into the kitchen. You filled up the cup as you thought about what Donnie asked. "Why?"The thought echoed in your head. You walked back into Donnie's room, to find Donnie out like a light. You smiled and set the filled glass on the table. You watched Donnie sleeping for a few minutes. It soothed you to see the sick turtle sleeping soundly. But Donnie's question echoed in your head, "Why?" You sighed silently and crept over to the turtle. You leaned down close to his head. "You know why?" You whispered. Donnie continued to sleep. You smiled and leaned in close to his ear. "Because I love you." You whispered lovingly. You gazed at him a few more moments before you gently kissed him on his cheek. You smiled softly and turned to leave the room taking a single glance back at your love before leaving.

You went back into your room and crawled into your bed. Your head foggy with Donnie but you sighed happily and minutes later fell into a restful night sleep.