4. rick grimes

Judith's cries echoed down the hallway, awaking you from your much needed  slumber

Judith's cries echoed down the hallway, awaking you from your much needed slumber. You didn't sleep much, not while Rick was gone. He had left for a run a day or two ago to get supplies for the saviours, and had yet to return. It worried you, but you reminded yourself that he was okay- he would come home to you. He promised he would.

Upon hearing her cries, you stood up and trudged down to her nursery, stepping through the door to find her standing up in her crib. Her shrieks of helplessness rang through your ears, her face bright red. She must've been crying for awhile before you had woken up. Lifting her from her crib, you held Judith against your chest, rubbing her back in soothing motions.

"What's going on sweetheart?" you whispered tenderly, her cries slowly dying down as you spoke.

After a few minutes, she was completely silent, and asleep at last. You smiled down at her sadly. She was a miracle in this world of fierce heart ache. She was a sign of hope that showed that there was still a chance for humanity to grow. It didn't have to be all death, that's what she meant to you. She was practically a daughter to you.

Knowing that you probably wouldn't be able to fall asleep again, you made your way to the front porch and sat on the porch swing, Judith humming contently in her sleep. The swing squeaked as it swung back and forth slowly, a soft breeze forming goose bumps up and down your arms.

You gently pressed your lips to the top of the infant's head, leaving a kiss. You took in your surroundings, the stars were quite evident, a beautiful sight they were.

It was strange to you, how anyone could ever bring a child into this world. How could they not see how different it was from before? This world was not the place for a baby. You would never wish what you had gone through on anyone, especially a young child.

But alas, the other side of you loved it. You adored having Judith around, she could always put a smile on your face. But more importantly, she could always put a smile on Rick's. Even though he confessed to you that he knew Judith wasn't his, she meant something astonishing to him.

So as you sat there on that porch swing in the middle of the night, you began humming a heartfelt tune. A song from awhile back, before the world had turned into a nightmare. In your time of trouble, you had played this song on repeat and felt your worries and fears wash away.

You began humming it, then slowly, you started singing it into Judith's ear. They were words you wanted her to hear and remember, even if she didn't understand them quite yet.

I got troubles, Lord, but not today
'Cause they're gonna wash away
They're gonna wash away

And I have sins, Lord, but not today
Cause they're gonna wash away
They're gonna wash away

And I had friends, Lord, but not today;
Cause they done; washed away
They done; washed away

And oh, I've been cryin'

And oh, no more cryin'

And oh, no more cryin' here

And we got lonely, Lord, but not today
'Cause we gonna wash away
We gonna wash away

And I got troubles, Lord, but not today
'Cause they're gonna wash away

This old heart is gonna take them away

Your eyes fluttered closed as you ended the song. Judith nuzzled into your chest as you gently laid your head on hers. Slowly, you felt yourself slipping into sleep, until you were awoken again by the sound of heavy footsteps and the feeling of a weight shift on the swing next to you. You opened your eyes to see Rick, sitting next to you. "You're back." you smiled lightly, Rick nodding.

"And you can sing," Rick returned a grin, causing you to playfully hit his arm. He chuckled lightly, knowing how shy you were about singing in front of people. Especially when you didn't know they were even listening.

You took a deep breath, laying your head on Rick's shoulder. You didn't mind if he was covered in dirt or blood, his scent was still fresh.

Rick bent down and lightly pressed a kiss to Judith's head, and then yours, causing a sly smile to form on your face. Rick loved everything about you, but your smile was one of his favorites for sure.

"You two are a sight for sore eyes," he spoke into your hair, his warmth surrounding you as the wind blew gently about.

These moments were your favorites, the ones that made you feel all warm and cozy, the ones that made you feel wanted. As Rick rubbed his hand up and down your arm calmingly, you knew that this was something that you would always miss while he was gone, and that you would never forget it.

And I've got troubles, Lord, but not today

'Cause they're gonna wash away

889 words

this one's a bit shorter, but I hope you enjoyed it nevertheless. also, i added the song that was in the imagine above. you should give it a listen, it's beautiful <3
:)