9. glenn rhee

Spring was beautiful, one of your favorite times of the year

Spring was beautiful, one of your favorite times of the year. All of the flowers were in bloom, animals were coming out of hibernation, and the cool morning air stuck nicely with the dew covering the grass.

It had always been a time of year that to you, signified life. The beauty of living wasn't easily forsaken during the spring, mostly because of the liveliness of mother nature.

Leaves had just started appearing on trees again, and thought it was still chilly, the sun became more evident, giving the group its warmth. People were becoming more productive, and now more than ever before, productivity was vital.

Winter had taken an extremely rough toll on the group, but mainly on you. Darkness began creeping through the abandoned streets and hills of Georgia, the place you had called home for so long. Now it was nothing, now it was ruled by the dead. Or more dangerously, the living.

Through the first half of winter you were well. You kept as warm as you could, even if it was still freezing, and the group didn't have a very hard time finding food for awhile. But things changed somewhere, and suddenly you realised just how bad things could get.

No one had real coats, simply long sleeves or thin jackets. No mittens or hats or scarves, just what they had managed to scavenge. The bitterness of the crisp winter air earned its place with you. You didn't have anything like that, a jacket or a long sleeved shirt. You hadn't really thought of what to take with you when you first heard the news of the outbreak.

Some nights when it was very cold, below freezing, people would offer you their jacket, which you kindly rejected, seeing ad you wouldn't want anyone else getting cold or catching some sort of illness.

You toughed out the whole winter, because you were too kind to take a piece of clothing from someone or feed yourself before others. You were probably the slimmest in the group, you hadn't eaten much. There were other people such as Carl, Lori, Hershel, or anyone younger than you that you insisted that they ate before you.

It was rare that the group got enough to feed everyone what they needed, and you'd rather have someone else be spared and you starve than the other way around. That just wasn't you.

Sometimes Glenn would have to force you to wear his jacket or take some of his food, but you never wanted to. He grew extremely concerned for your health.

So when Spring came around and you first felt the glorious warmth of the suns rays on your face, you realised what you had been doing. People had been trying to tell you, show you what you had done to yourself, but now it felt as though you had slowly been killing yourself.

Looking into Glenn's eyes after realizing something so traumatic, you understood that you wanted to live, that he wanted you to live.

Slowly but surely, Glenn helped you through it. Whenever he went on a run he would try to find something extra for you to eat, or a nice pair of gloves for your frail and numb fingers. He found himself to be unsuccessful, however. Most of the shops or houses had already been ransacked, the only thing he found was mostly things that were far past expired.

You told him over and over that it was okay, that you would eat something eventually. But eventually wasn't soon enough for Glenn. He saw it, the life in your eyes had begun to dim, he knew how truly starving you were. The others saw it too, how weak how had begun, barely being able to kill a walker with your knife anymore. What you had gotten yourself into was more than life threatening, and it seemed to everyone else that you were the only one who had a hard time understanding that concept.

Early one morning you arose to find that Glenn had already gotten up, and you knew why. He and Michonne had made a plan to go to a smaller town, one that was a bit further away from the prison, which you obviously didn't like, but didn't fight him on it. You knew Glenn could take care of himself, and you trusted Michonne.

After skipping breakfast and heading straight to your job of walking the fence and making sure that any walkers hadn't gotten in, the hours began to drag on. You took Judith out of Rick's hands for a bit so he could have some time to himself, seeing as he still wasn't in the best shape after Lori's death nearly a month earlier.

At the end of the day you found yourself back in you and Glenn's shared cell, only it felt lonelier. Glenn hadn't gotten back yet, which according to everyone else they should have been back two hours prior. It scared you, making your insides feel as though they had been tied in a knot.

You shifted in and out of consciousness, wanting to stay awake and make certain of Glenn's return. To your dismay, you ended up hugging yourself on you and Glenn's shared mattress, missing his warmth and comforting aroma that he gave off.

The next morning, you were awoken by a familiar voice, one which you had longed to hear.

"Hey sleeping beauty." Glenn's voice swam in one ear and out the other, causing a sleepy smile to form on your pale and shriveled face.

You turned on your side to see Glenn sitting on the mattress in front of you. A wave of relief washed over you as you hugged him, inhaling that sweet scent of his.

"You're back."

Glenn wrapped his arms around you, laying up against the cell wall so that you could lay on his chest, your face buried in his neck. The corners of Glenn's lips pulled into a soft and loving smile as he reached into the pocket of the backpack beside him, pulling out something that he just could wait to give you.

"I have something for you." he whispered, seeing as it was still very early in the morning. You lifted your head to see what Glenn held in his hand, two jars of Spaghetti O's.

You stifled a laugh, his grin growing wider. Before the apocalypse, Glenn used to always make you Spaghetti O's, claiming it was 'the only thing he cooked better than Gordon Ramsay himself.'

"You did not," you chuckled softly, taking one of the jars into your palms.

"I did." he replied, taking off his baseball cap and placing a kiss on your head.

Before you could say anything else, Glenn zipped open his rather large backpack, revealing a whole variety of different foods.

"I knew you wouldn't eat anything unless everyone else got something first." He sighed, "So I grabbed all of this for everyone else. But when I saw those two fateful cans," he paused for quote on quote 'dramatic effect'

"I knew I had to get them for you, only you. If Spaghetti O's is what restores that hunger, if it brings back the liveliness in your eyes, then so be it. But I will not lose you to anything, most certainly not hunger."

1273 words
sorry it took a bit longer than expected. anyways, i thought i would try to write something a bit more sweet or happy since i feel like i've been writing a lot of sad stuff lately.

i don't know, i guess i just like writing sad things lol. hope you enjoyed

:)