thirteen; in which Elizabeth goes to a game

[ iMessage ]
[ Alex Galchenyuk & Elizabeth Lavoie ]

Alex, where are you??

i drove all the way to
this obscure restaurant

sorry

practice ran a few minutes late
coach made us do suicides

i'll be there in 5

[ real life ]

Elizabeth's could feel her heart rate quicken and she wasn't even about to see Brendan, she could only think about how fast it would be when she finally got to see Brendan. Her fingers lightly tapped on her steering wheel along to the beat of the song on the radio. She checked her gas tank again, especially since she drove the entire journey here.

She watched a car park across the street, it was black, but that's the extent that Elizabeth knew about cars. The man who got out was taller than she was with a beard. He had a Canadiens coat on, like everyone else in this city, and wore jeans.

She stepped out of her car and made sure to lock the door. "Alex!" she happily looked both ways before jaywalking and stopping beside him.

"Elizabeth Lavoie," he smiled. "God Gally is gonna be happy tonight."

"I sure hope so," Elizabeth felt nervous just thinking about his reaction.

"Let's get lunch yeah?" Alex asked her.

They talked about random topics as Alex got to know a little bit more about her. He knew some of the things Brendan had mentioned; she was a nursing student, loved musical theatre, and had a massive phobia of spiders.

He joked about being her best friend before she interrupted and told him he'd have a competition for that title since Jillian would probably kick and fight back until her death for that title.

He laughed, "I'm sure I could handle her. She's shorter than you isn't she?"

"Shhh," she laughed, "that's besides the point." she took a bite of her burger.

"I'll be your favourite American friend eh?"

"I don't know, you don't sound to American buddy," Elizabeth joked.

He sighed and sipped his drink. "I'm not really from Russia. I really was born in the states."

Elizabeth laughed, "I was gonna say you sounded Canadian because you said eh, but you're the one who got all defensive."

Alex cracked a smile and continued to eat.

---

Before Elizabeth realized it Alex had already gotten her to her hotel, he parked and she found a spot near him again.

"I guess this is goodbye for now," Elizabeth smiled.

Alex held open his arms for a hug, which Elizabeth gave him. "Only for a few hours. The game is at seven, if he doesn't see you I'll point you out to him yeah?"