Chapter One: Welcome to Hawkins

Sydney looked out the window of Billy's black muscle car, the air tense between the two. They had moved to a small town in Indiana known as Hawkins and she seemed to be the only one out of the three Hargrove children to finally begin a brand new life away from California. She had suffered under the grasp of her fraternal twin brother for four years but now hopefully she could have a little bit more freedom.

She quickly got out when they arrived at the high school, keeping her head low while she held onto the strap of the backpack tightly and heading inside. Hopefully she would be able to avoid Billy all day, if that was even possible. She looked down trying to find her locker blowing out a strand of blonde hair from her face. Sydney was able to find her locker and put everything away, only taking what she needed.

Syd clutched the books close to her chest looking around the rather large school. It was bigger than the small high school she went to in California and it was quite intimidating to her. She gasped suddenly feeling her books smack out of her chest and narrowed her eyes at Billy as he walked by with a smirk.

"Asshole," She mumbled while bending down and beginning to get all of her books.

"Need help?"

Sydney looked up to see a dark haired boy smiling down at her and sighed nodding, smiling a bit when he bent down and helped her gather all of her books. "Thank you," She said when they stood up and he handed her books.

"No problem, what a warm welcome to Hawkins, huh?" He asked with a chuckle and held his hand out. "I'm Steve by the way. Steve Harrington."

"Sydney Hargrove," She replied shaking his hand and smiled at him. "And it's the welcome that my brother brings," She whispered sighing as she watched him beginning to flirt with the first girl he has seen.

Steve followed her eyesight and shook his head, stuffing his hands in his pockets while he walked next to her with a soft smile. "So where do you come from Miss. Sydney?"

"I'm from a little hellhole I like to call California," She replied glancing up to the boy.

"Why do you say it's a hellhole?" He asked as a laugh left his lips.

Sydney sighed and looked down at the ground, stopping outside of her first classroom. "Long story, Harrington."

Steve gave her a small smile, tilting his head. "Well, welcome to Hawkins, California," He told her, the smile growing before walking off when the bell rang.