Chapter Four: Happy Halloween

Sydney leaned against her locker, staring down at the bright orange flyer in her hands. She had been invited to her first party in Hawkins although she was conjuring up as many lies as she could to not go, never being one much for parties which was ironic since she lived in a neighborhood back in California that had parties almost every night. She began to crumple the paper, only to jump when she felt a hand on her shoulder. She turned to face Steve, raising an eyebrow at the goofy smile he had on his face.

"May I help you?"

Steve's smile only widened and looked down nodding his head at the orange ball in her hand. "I see you got an invitation to the best Halloween party ever. Are you going?"

She looked down at the paper, shaking her head. "I would rather get drunk at home than among strangers."

"Well I'll be there and Nancy will too. It will be fun!" He exclaimed and stuffed his hands in his pockets, smirking when she agreed. "I'll see you at eight then."

Sydney looked at herself in her mirror, smirking a bit. For once in her life, she actually felt sexy and she felt as though she had more freedom. She kept her head down while walking past her parents and out to Billy's black muscle car where he was waiting a bit impatiently for her.

Sydney's costume

        "Once a slut, always a slut," Billy chimed seeing her costume

She simply flipped him off and sighed getting in the passenger seat of his car, gladly accepting a cigarette when he offered her one. There were certain times where she just needed a smoke and this was one of those times. She blew out a few puffs, smiling when she heard the music blaring from one of the larger houses of the small town.

Sydney looked around, trying her best to find the familiar dark haired boy although it was hard among the crowd of sexually active teenagers. She laughed when a boy walked over, handing her a red solo cup looking down at the orange liquid in the cup. She downed it quite fast smirking when the boy only looked at her shocked.

She gave him a wink and leaned up, kissing the boy on the lips laughing at his more shocked expression. She looked down while walking off, continuing her search. She looked over feeling someone push past her and furrowed her brows seeing who it was.

"Steve!" She called running over and placed a hand on her shoulder, frowning when she saw the saddened expression upon his face. "Steve...is everything okay?"

He shook his head looking down. Steve tried to have a strong face although it was hard since Nancy was the first real girl he had ever loved. "I think Nancy brook up with me."

Sydney frowned more at the news and glanced around before walking out with him. "Let's get you home then," She said softly and sighed as she drove Steve's car to her house.

Sydney's outfit

        After removing her makeup and changing out of her costume, the pair went to Steve's house to talk

After removing her makeup and changing out of her costume, the pair went to Steve's house to talk. Sydney could tell he was upset over this and she knew that he needed a friend there to listen. She rubbed her arms, not even thinking on getting a jacket while heading up to Steve's room, sitting on the bed with him.

"Did she give you a reason as to why she wanted to break up?" Sydney knew it was a hard question to ask the grieving boy but she could not help him unless he told her the reason why Nancy broke his heart.

Steve shook his head while placing his head in his hands. "All she said was bullshit and she broke things off with me," He mumbled into his hands. He couldn't muster up the courage to tell her the truth behind the strain of his relationship with Nancy. He couldn't tell her about Barb or about the faceless monster. He just couldn't tell her anything, not yet at least.

She nodded, slowly placing a hand on his back and rubbing it in small circles. "Maybe she just needs a break and hopefully she will come around soon. She could have been drunk too and sometimes drunk people don't mean what they say."

He slowly nodded, looking into her dark eyes. There was a sparkle in it, something that he has only seen in one other girl. Steve could not control his actions as he leaned down, his eyes fluttering closed although he stopped when he felt a hand on his chest. "I-I'm sorry, Syd."

Sydney closed her eyes at the nickname and sighed softly. "Please don't call me that, but it's okay Steve," She whispered and leaned up kissing his cheek lightly. "Do you need someone here to be with you?"

"If you don't mind staying."

She smiled a bit and nodded as she laid back on his bed, nuzzling into his chest when he wrapped his arms around her waist and she wrapped her arms around his neck. Sydney felt warm and safe in his arms although it was just a friendly action between the two of them, she could not ignore the butterflies that happily fluttered in her stomach.