Chapter 1: Getting Ready

I wake up screaming.

"Shh Prim, shh. It was only a dream. Go back to sleep." My sister, Katniss, cradles me in her arms.

"I can't." I wimper.

"Yes you can." She assures me.

She lays me back on my bed and strokes my hair. Today is the day of the Reaping. Where one male and one female is chosen from each District to go into an arena. 24 of us wil fight to the death. This is known as The Hunger Games. A lone victor will return home and be showered with riches and security; living in one of the houses in the victors village. I had a dream that it was me that was picked and I had to go into The Games. There was a boy charging at me; sword in hand and was just about to impale me. Then I woke up.

"It's your first year Prim, they're not going to pick you. I promise."

I silently nod at her.

"I've got to go." She says.

"Where?" I ask, startled.

"I just got to go." And before I have a chance to say anything else, she gets up and walks out.

It's cold in my room and I don't want to go back to sleep. I don't want to have another nightmare. So I lay awake for the next couple of hours, waiting for my mother to come in to get me up.

At 7:30am my mother comes into the room. Instead of telling me to get up like she usually does, she comes to sit on my bed and embraces me in a hug. I hug her back, trying not to shake too much.

"I know you're scared Prim, but they aren't going to pick you." She says in a calming tone.

"I know." I don't want to say too much, in fear of crying.

"I've left you a outfit on my bed if you want to come and put it on?"

I pull the covers off me and walk into her room. It's warmer than mine. A white blouse with buttons leading all the way down and a blue-grey skirt is waiting for me. The blouse looks a little bit big but I'm sure it will be fine. My mother closes the door behind me and leaves me to get changed.

I was right. When I put on the blouse, it's very loose and baggy. My mother re-enters the room and sees how big it is.

"I'll fix that." She says, tucking the blouse into my skirt. Admittedly, it does look a bit better now. She braids my hair and when she's done, we hear the front door slam. Katniss must be back. My mother goes to greet her and I'm left alone again. Only 2 hours until the reaping.

My sister is next to get ready. When she reveals herself, she looks so beautiful. She's wearing a blue dress and her hair is in a pin-back braid.

"I wish I looked like you." I say solumly.

"Oh no, I wish I looked like you little duck." She always calls me that.

We hear a hooting sound to signal that we need to go. Katniss pulls me in for a hug and she holds me for a few minutes. She breaks away when the hoot sounds again. My stomach churns as she takes my hand and leads me out the door and takes me towards The Hall Of Justice.