Chapter 23: Goodbye

"Prim! Prim, please! Come on you've got to wake up!"

I lay on my right side; in a pool of my own vomit.

"Wake up, Prim!" Peeta's shaking my body, "Come on!"

I see a vision of his blurry face; his scared, worried face. I'm conscious, but not alive; not really. If I were to die now, I would be happy. Nothing's trying to kill me. I feel calm and peaceful.

But there's something in the way...

"Prim? Prim are you awake?!"

"Peeta..." I choke out.

"Oh my God, Prim!" He leans over me.

"Peeta..." I repeat.

"Yes, Prim?" He says with a big smile.

"Let me die... please..." His face falls.

"What...?"

"I don't want to carry on anymore. I can't."

"Why did you leave?" He asks sadly.

I start to drag myself along the floor. I feel the dirt between my fingers and under my nails.

"No, Prim!" He grabs my shoulder and I wince away.

"Just leave." I drone desperately.

I carry on dragging. I squeeze the dirt tightly as dizziness washes over me. It's becoming difficult to breathe. My arms give way and I fall to the ground; weeping.

Peeta runs over and pulls me onto his lap and presses my head to his chest. I contine to sob.

"Shh, Prim. Shh. Everything's going to okay. I promise, Prim." His voice become fainter and fainter.

A bright light in front of my eyes comes closer and closer. I take a sharp breath and my eyes slowly close.

My body feels light as I hear Peeta's last words, "I'll win for you, Prim. I promise."