Chapter 22: Running Away

"Will you be okay by yourself, Prim?" Peeta asks as he gathers his knife and the bottle of water.

"I'll be fine." I smile at him.

He's going huntering to find us some food. However while he's gone, I'm going to leave. I have no choice. I won't let him die for me. I won't let that happen.

He waves to me and he disappears behind the bushes. I drag myself off the floor; trying not to put too much pressure on my wounded shoulder. I don't take anything with me. If Peeta's going to win, he'll need everything he can.

I don't look back as I run from the lake. I hope to find a high tree to camp in. Hopefully Peeta will move on from the lake so I can sneak back to get some water. It'll be dirty water, but what choice do I have?

Peeta has to win. He has more to go back to. He has a full family, a bakery to run, talents to persue. Katniss will survive without me. I know she loves me more than anything, but she'll survive. She'll have to, not just for herself, but for mother as well. There are just so many pros as to why Peeta should win.

I breathe heavily as I carry on running. I see a tree that looks good enough to camp in. I start to climb it, however, I've forgotten about my shoulder. I fall in pain and clutch it.

"Ow..." I let out a small whimper.

Pulses shoot through my shoulder and my vision goes blurry. I pull my hand up to my face and see blood. The blood has started flowing again. Black blotches form at the side of my eyes and I can't help but collapse.