Chapter 20: Finding A Cure

Light, beautiful, peaceful. The white parachute floats down into Peeta's open hands.

"Look, Prim!" His voice is fuzzy.

He shows me the parachute and quickly opens it. Tablets.

"Prim! These can heal you! I knew Haymitch would see sense."

He puts 2 tablets in my hand.

"No Peeta. They aren't medicine.They're water purifiers. They won't help me get better.

He sits back on his knees and sighs.

"I thought Haymitch would help you..."

"You really thought he would?" I say sternly.

"Maybe."

I cough violently and fall onto my back.

"I don't know how long I'm going to last Peeta." I say, my eyes watering.

I know he accepts my fate when he doesn't reply. He bows his head and plays with the dirt on the ground. Then, he looks up suddenly.

"I'll purify some water, then I'll give it to you. Maybe you'll get better then?!" He has an excited look on his head.

"We could try." I'm not enthusiastic.

He jogges over to the waterside and refills our bottle. He drops a tablet in and watches it turn to a clear colour. He runs back over and gives it to me. I take a big gulp. It tastes so much better than the dirty water. I don't know whether this will help me now though. The damage has already been done.

I start to take another big drink when we hear a twig snap. I stop immediately. We wait a while and I decide that it was probably just a rabbit. I'm about to drink again when it falls out of my hand. A dark figure jumps from the bush and attacks me.