Thranduil POV

~a few days later~

I stepped out of Legolas's room. It was late into the night and I wanted to make sure he was asleep. Sure enough, my son was lost to his dreams, a small smile on his young face. With a small smile on my own face, I walked down the halls of the palace. Within a few minutes, I reached my destination. I knocked on the door, waiting to hear a voice on the other side.

"Come in!" I opened the door to find (y/n) sitting by her balcony, a small glass in her hand. She looked up at me and smiled. "Hello, Thranduil."

"Hello, (y/n)," I replied, shutting the door behind me as I walked into the room. "How are you?"

"I am doing alright. And yourself?"

"I am well." I walked to the balcony and leaned against the railing a little. (y/n) turned a little to look at me. "I wanted to thank you."

"Thank me? What for?"

"For keeping my son company. Being king means I do not get to give him the attention he deserves and needs, but with you here, you have kept him happy. I have not seen him like that in a long time."

"Well I am happy to help. Legolas and I have grown quite close since I came."

I nodded. Almost every day, I watched as Legolas and (y/n) spent time in the garden. They would talk, sometimes read together, and she would teach him how to shoot every day. I had even seen her teaching him how to use a blade. When I could spare the time, I joined them in the garden, spending time with the two of them. I would be lying to myself if I said I did not fancy the elleth. She was beautiful and had a kind spirit about her. She always treated me with respect, but as a friend and not a king, which made me happy.

"Is something the matter?" (y/n) asked, pulling me from my thoughts.

"No," I replied, shaking my head a little. "No, nothing is wrong. I was just thinking."

(y/n) nodded, leaving the conversation at that. I turned my head to look out at the stars and the forest, enjoying the evening breeze that came with the view. Out of the corner of my eyes, I could see (y/n) take a deep breath before taking a drink from her glass. After a minute, she slowly pushed herself off the bench. She grabbed hold of the railing and used it to push herself into the room.

I turned around to watch her walk, though she always kept her hands on a table or chair for support. As she walked, I could tell that her legs were shaking. When she got to the bed, she grabbed onto the footrest and moved around to the side. Just before she sat down, I could hear her inhale sharply. She quickly sat down and a faint curse reached my ear. I raised an eyebrow and stepped back into the room.

"Are you alright?" I asked her.

"Just fine," (y/n) answered, her tone still light and sweet. "Why do you ask?"

"You appeared to be having trouble just now."

"It's nothing, Thranduil. Believe me. I'm fine."

I rolled my eyes at her, but she didn't see.

"That is not true, (y/n)," I said. "Every time I see you, you are sitting down or are being supported by one of your brothers. I know there is something wrong."

"Something wrong," (y/n) said, scoffing a little. "Yeah, there's most definitely a problem. The problem being that I can't walk!" My eyes widened in surprise. "I haven't been able to walk for the past few hundred years! You asked why I stepped away from the warrior mantle and now there's your answer. I was shot with an arrow during battle which paralyzed me from my waist down. The only reason you saw me walk just now was because I drank a special mixture that overcomes my paralysis so I can do the most simple tasks. I didn't want to stop being a warrior, it was something I had loved since I was Legolas's age and in the blink of an eye, it was gone. I did not chose what happened to me, Thranduil, but I am living with the consequences. I suggest you either get used to the fact or forget it. Now, if you'll excuse me, I would like to go to bed."

I was frozen for a moment, trying to comprehend what was just said. I barely realized that I had nodded and walked out of the room. Only when I returned back to my own room did I snap out of my trance. I put my hand on my head, trying to calm my mind.

"I should not have said anything," I muttered. "I had no idea."