Chapter 32- The 2 AM You

*a month later*

Antonio sighed as he looked over at Adrienne, fast asleep on the other side of his bed.

He felt like shit. He didn't know why, but he did. He knew about the little nightmares she had and he was sort of waiting for one to happen to her that night, but it didn't. He was glad though, they worried him.

It made him realize that this girl had a past. He didn't know exactly what was in her past though. All she had ever told him was that her mother was in and out of her life and was currently serving a jail sentence that was "well deserved" as Adrienne put it.

He knew she probably had a hard life but didn't ask her about it. He didn't think it was right to. It just made not want to hurt her anymore that she had already been.

He tried his best to get out of bed unnoticed but failed. He heard Adrienne stir in her sleep. Not that he didn't want her waking up, he enjoyed her company a lot, but they had stayed up pretty late he figured Adrienne needed the sleep.

"Shit, Adrienne, I didn't mean to wake you up."

She laughed softly as she sat upright. "I was never actually asleep.", she confessed. "My sleeping pattern has always been messed up."

He never really noticed that. Adrienne coming to stay over for the night was sort of a common thing now but he felt like, being her boyfriend and all, he should've payed attention to things like this.

"Antonio...", sighed Adrienne. "It's alright." She had practically read his mind.

"I don't know, Adrienne It's just....we're together now and all. I feel like I should be looking out for you."

"I think I'll be fine. Ive had to look out for myself a lot in my life... you know that."

"You don't need a break?"

She laughed lightly. Antonio loved her laugh It was sweet and contagious. "No. I'm tough. Or at least I like to think I am. Always been that way."

She indicated the small, barely noticeable scar above her eyebrow. "See this ? One time, one of my mother's many boyfriends hit me with a broken bottle. There was blood everywhere. Red. I remember that. i don't think I cried. I just remember my mom wasn't home. So I took matters into my own hands and took care of myself. I shouldn't have done that. I coulda needed stitches or it could've gotten infected or something but I didn't care back then. Ive always had the mentality that I was better off being more independent.", she laughed again.

Antonio sat quietly and listened to her story. He really admired her. The look into her last proved life wasn't all sunshine and rainbows for her.

She noticed his silence. "I sound crazy right now, don't I ? Laughing over shit thats not even funny. I think it is. Its funny how people told me I'd never amount to anything after that. But I'm out to prove them wrong. I'm hard headed, stubborn."

"I feel you.", he said slowly. He had already told Adrienne a bit about his childhood before. It was somewhat better than the stories she told him. But he knew what she was trying to say. He knew what it was like to have neglectful parents, what it was like to overcome obstacles.

"Yeah, and sometimes when people tell you that you won't make anything of yourself, you start to believe them, you know ? I wanted to prove people wrong so bad but instead I proved 'em right and went and got pregnant."

Antonio understood completely. That's why I stuck to breaking hearts for so long, he thought to himself, I didnt believe I deserved anyone.

"I'm crazy, man. Life's crazy.", Adrienne said slowly. She knew she wasnt making sense, but at the same time she was. This was the 2 AM her. Everybody's late night thoughts brought out a little something different from deep inside of them. "Life's screwed me over so many times..."

"You ever get scared of being screwed over again?" There was a 2 AM Antonio too. He was the part of Antonio that didn't want to be with Adrienne anymore. Not because he didn't care abiut her, because every piece of him did, but because he did care. No matter how much he wanted to tell himself he had changed, he knew he hadn't. With all the things he did, he didn't want her to find out and have it mess her up.

So he made up his mind that he would break up with her...not because he wanted to hurt her but to prevent her from being hurt.

He didn't want to be responsible for messing her life up anymore.

✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨

boring chapter, yeah, I know. BUT this is the last boring chapter before I get to the good stuff. Yeah, it took me 32 chapters I'm sorry lol.

So please vote & comment because it really means a lot to me ❤

love y'all