ksimon - 1975

"Well I know when you're around cause I know the sound I know the sound of your heart..."

JJ was listening to The 1975 at 3 AM on a Wednesday night. The stars were in their prime and could be seen clear and bright. JJ had always been be fascinated of the infinite expansion of the universe. When it was just him and space, he felt unstoppable. Like he could reach up and grab the stars that could take him on a trip around the universe. His dark hands shone perfectly in the moonlight and reflected his chocolate skin wonderfully.

JJ scooted closer to the edge of the roof, his hands holding up his torso. His legs dangled off the roof, yet he wasn't at all scared. He gazed wondrously above, wondering about the deepest, most unknown questions of existence. His thoughts were cloudy and scrambled yet had never been clearer. It was like he was connecting to his essence and absorbing everything around him. Suddenly, his still euphoria was interrupted by a shout from below.

"Get down from there! Whatever you're thinking it isn't worth it! I swear!" JJ looked down to see a guy around his age looking up at him with concern.

"What the hell are you talking about? Just chill," JJ said to the stranger, confused and slightly worried about who this man was.

"What do you mean? You're about to jump off a roof! How could I chill?" The blond from below yelled up to JJ. He seemed to be shaking and was clearly frightened for the boy on the roof.

Jide only chuckled and shook his head lightly. This guy seriously thought he was gonna jump? He was only stargazing.

"Why are you laughing? Can you please get down? You're scaring me." The stranger asked sincerely. His eyes were pleading for JJ to come down to the ground.

"You think I was gonna jump? Sorry to worry you, I was just watching the stars. They're beautiful aren't they?" JJ replied casually. The boy below looked confused, before settling. His eyes now only showed intrigue for the star-watching boy.

"Oh dear God, you scared me so much. I seriously thought you were about to jump and I panicked." He breathed a sigh of relief.

"It's fine," Was all JJ said before he look back up at the stars and resumed his gazing.

"Uh, excuse me?" JJ looked back down at the man, having expected him to leave JJ was confused as to why he was still there.

"Yeah?" Jidereplied without looking back down.

"Uh... My name is Simon, Simon Minter. Nice to meet you I guess," Simon glanced around nervously and fidgeted with the sleeves of his sweater.

"You guess?" JJ laughs at Simon's clear hesitation. JJ wasn't trying to be condescending towards Simon. He was just trying to ease the tension between the two boys.

"No, no, no, no, no, that's not what I meant. I meant like, if you wanted to meet me. Not that I didn't want to meet y-" Simon started rambling on but JJ stopped him from stumbling on.

"No, I was just joking, sorry. I knew what you meant. You know, you can come up here and join me if you'd like?" JJ asked Simon, finally glancing down to the seemingly small boy below.

"Oh! Really? I mean- yeah! Of course. Sure." Simon seemed shocked at his offer but agreed nonetheless. He disappeared for a minute or two, walking up the fire escape between their two apartments. Soon enough, he crawled onto the roof and sat next to JJ.

"Hiya there," Simon said as he sat next to the black haired man, crossing his legs next to him and leaning back.

"The name's Olajide Olatunji, at your service!" JJ joked around and fake saluted Simon.