nine

[leave comments]

Chapter 9

"I thought pregnancy was suppose to make you incurably hungry?", Louis says, furrowing his eyebrows at me as I swirl a bit of spaghetti on my fork, scrunching my nose up.

"Shut up", I roll my eyes, dropping my fork onto my plate with a quiet clatter, sighing, and leaning down to rest my head on the table, breathing through my mouth.

I can hear Louis' fork hit his plate and the drag of his brace slide towards me. "Are you feeling alright? Do we need to call Doctor Sanchez? I─"

"I just have a headache. I don't have much of an appetite, but I'm not really nauseous. Thank, God", I laugh, and I feel Louis' small hand come to rest on my spine, thumbing his fingers over the indents. A chill runs through my veins.

"This isn't a laughing matter, H", Louis says seriously and I sigh, rising up to look at him and his hand moves up to my jaw. "You know. . . this is life or death stuff, baby. If anything─anything─doesn't feel right, you have to tell me"

"Yeah", I nod, closing my eyes. When did we get such bright bulbs? "Yeah, I know. But I'm okay. I just need an Ibuprofen. And a nap"

"You know. . .", Louis says, hopping one footed ( which is never not funny ) towards the medicine drawer, "I've been doing some studies on some stuff"

"Have you?", I inquire, walking towards him so he doesn't have to hobble all the way back to the kitchen table. He nods, handing me two pills. I help him back to the table, sitting him back down before myself, downing the pills with my previous milk.

"On, like, the side effects of medicines for a fetus. And. . . our baby has just gotten to the stage of being a fetus. It was just an embryo, but. . . Doctor Sanchez said two months, you're two months along. That's a little fetus in there, now. A little b─baby. It's starting to grow kidneys and lungs and it's heart. And there's some medicines that we need to be careful for now"

"What if I took them before we found out?", I croak, slapping my hand to my cheek, eyes widening in horror. Louis stiffens and his fists clinch around the napkin he had put beside his plate. "What if I did somet─I've already hurt them! I'm already a─a horrible parent!"

Louis doesn't say anything, his eyes just look around quickly, like he's thinking, but then his shoulders suddenly lax and my eyebrows furrow, eyes a little more glassy than I'm used to.

"Doctor Sanchez would have picked something up, yeah? He would have noticed some type of blood abnormality or summat!" We both shudder a breath and grab at each other across the table. I stand up and quickly walk towards him, straddling his lap before he even expects it. I curl my fingers in his hair and bury my nose in the corner of his neck and shoulder, breathing in the familiar musk.

"I don't wanna hurt the baby. . . will Ibuprofen hurt them? You let me take th─", I rise up quickly, staring into his eyes with a wild wave of nerves.

"No, no, no", Louis soothes, gently shoving my face back into his neck. He strokes my hair gently and I squeeze my eyes shut, "It won't hurt it. There's studies that show there's no proven complications. Aside from delayed labor, but that doesn't really matter in our case, because Caesarian is the only option. There's no birth canal─how did you even manage this?"

"Me!", I shriek, raising up quickly once more, narrowing my eyes at him, "I happen to remember you─"

"Okay!", Louis interrupts with a shout of laughter, shaking his head. I curl my arms in front of my chest. He giggles at me and raises up to bump our noses together. I try to scowl at him but a small smile tugs at the corners of my mouth.