eleven

(Harry's point of view)
[Leave comments]
Chapter 11

We watch as Doctor Mason starts laying out her medical objects. She impatiently tucks a tuft of dark grey hair behind her ears, holding it in place with the ear holds of her small rimmed glasses. I bring Louis' hand up to my cheek and hold it there. His fingers curl around my jaw and I sigh a little.

Setting down a stethoscope with a finality, Doctor Mason turns to us with a soothingly charismatic and humble smile on her thin lips. "How are you boys today?", she asks, her accent very subtly British, almost American maybe.

I smile and shrug. "Okay", Louis and I reply in unison. All three of us laugh quietly, and I squeeze Louis' hand just a little but tighter.

She nods and walks towards the sink in front of the plastic bed, turning the tap on and washing her hands up to her elbows. "Are you nervous? This only your second ultrasound, yes?", she asks, microscopically turning to look at us.

"Oh. I'm─m getting an ultrasound today?", I stammer, my eyes widening. I turn to Louis, whose eyes are just as wide and surprised as mine. "I thought we were just going to check vitals and my heartbeat and. . . I didn't know we were going to look at . . ."

"At the fetus?", asks Doctor Mason, nodding as she shuts off the water, grabbing some paper towels from the dispenser, drying her wrinkling hands off, "Yes. Every time you come in, from here on out, you are scheduled for an ultrasound. You need to come here every other week to ensure the function of the steroids and vitamins is properly effective"

I swallow and nod, folding my lips into a hard line.

One of these times, I shudder in my head, one of these times we're going to put the wand to my stomach and look at the screen and we're going to see nothing good.

"Hey", Louis whispers, using the hand cupping my jaw to turn my face towards his. His eyes swim with concern and I bite my cheek. "Hey, are you okay, baby?", he whispers and the term of endearment hits my chest with a ringing pang.

I swallow a lump that may or not have been my tongue and nod. "Y─Yeah, I'm fine. When are we going to do it?", I ask, turning to face Doctor Mason as Louis hand falls from my face and gently lands on my thigh, rubbing it in a way that I know is suppose to be soothing.

She smiles lightly and reaches over to the counter attached to the sink, collecting her dark blue clip board. She quickly looks through a couple of papers, and settles on about the fourth, bending the rest over the top to save the page. "We'll start. . . right now if you're ready? I have to go over quite a few details after. . . this as well", she says distractedly, bustling around with the buttons on the ultrasound's screen, plugging in things here and there.

"What kinds of things?", Louis asks as I slowly lower myself onto my back, looking up at the ceiling for a moment. His fingers find my hair and I look down at him, giving him a light smile. He smiles back at me in a way I would classify as 'fond' and I can feel the heat of red blush make it's way up my cheeks. He laughs quietly at me then and I squint my eyes at him, playfully scoffing and looking away.

"Complications with carrying. . .", Doctor Mason replies, oblivious to our bickering. I freeze up and turn back towards Louis, grasping for his hands manically until I manage to entangle our fingers with a tight, tight hold. "Do you want to do the blood tests first or the sonogram?", she asks, readily preparing a needle.

"Sonogram", I say automatically, my heart thudding heavily in my chest. I think seeing even a drop of blood would result in the flipping of my stomach. "What k─kinds of blood tests? What types of complications?", I stutter, blinking behind my glasses.