a baby carriage

For sale: a baby carriage, never used.

"George? You might want to see this." Martha said, standing slowly from the dining room table at Mount Vernon. "Those friends of yours put an add in the newspaper. Y/N Hamilton, you know her, yes?"

George Washington turned the corner to the dining room, confused as to what his wife was meaning. "Yes, Y/N Hamilton is a friend of mine. Is she selling something we need?"

"I don't believe so, George. You might want to have a look yourself." Martha said, handing the newspaper to her husband.

George furrowed his eyebrows at Martha as he accepted the paper. He scanned the page until he found the add. George read over the add multiple times. He understood what the add meant. But he didn't want to accept that it was the truth. Y/N and Lafayette had lost their child.

"No." He said softly, the paper slipping from his fingers to the ground.

Martha frowned sadly. "George? Are you all right, dear?"

"Of course not. Y/N and Lafayette. Their child." Washington wasn't sure how to react.

"Maybe it doesn't mean what you think, George. Perhaps... perhaps they found a better carriage?" Martha suggested, placing a hand over his shoulder.

Washington stayed quiet.

"George? George, please say something." Martha pleaded.

Washington sighed. "I need to go to see them."

"In New York? George, it's freezing outside. You can't seriously be planning on making this trip." Martha said.

"Martha, I need to be there for them. They're family to me. I'm going to see them." George was too determined now.

"Fine." Martha said. "I'll start packing our stuff."

George raised an eyebrow. "Our stuff?"

Martha nodded. "Yes. If you're going to New York, I'm coming with you."

"I love you, Martha." George softly smiled, placing a kiss to her knuckles.

"I know. Now, I need to go get packing, don't I?"

•••

It wasn't until mid November that the Washingtons reached New York. The weather in the north was a lot colder than what George and Martha were used to back in Virginia. It rained relentlessly for most of their trip. The rain didn't lighten Washington's mood at all.

The longer they traveled, the more Martha missed their home. Still, it was better than being apart from George, she had decided. Neither Washington was too fond of New York. The two of them preferred their quiet life in Virginia to the loud city that was New York.

Their carriage stopped in front of the Schuyler estate in Albany. George and Martha stepped out of the carriage while the footman began unloading their luggage. The Schuyler estate looked a lot different than the last time George had seen it. Perhaps it was the rain and clouds that made it look so sad, or perhaps not.

The lawn looked like it had been neglected. The windows were dark, or covered by curtains. But what really shook Washington was the silence. He couldn't hear any happy conversations, or joyful laughter in the house. Everything was completely silent.

Martha took George's hand in hers in an almost comforting way. Washington sighed softly, and knocked twice on the hard oaken doors.