under the mistletoe

"Tu es mon rayon de soleil, mon seul rayon de soleil."

Y/N followed the soft sound of singing to the nursery.

"Tu me rends heureux quand les cieux sont gris."

She quietly opened the door to see Lafayette cradling one of the twins, singing to her softly in French.

"Vous ne saurez jamais ma chère, combien Je vous aime.
S'il vous plaît ne me prenez pas mon rayon de soleil."

"I didn't know you sang, Laf." Y/N said, entering the room.

Lafayette looked up at Y/N surprised, a smile spreading across his face.

"Only for very important people, ma ange." Lafayette replied, placing the baby in a cradle beside her twin sister. "I'll sing for you whenever you want."

Y/N grinned. "I'm going to have to take you up on that offer. Now, Eliza wants us to be packed and ready to leave tomorrow morning. I can pack the girls' stuff if you want to go pack your own stuff."

"Non. I will help you pack the girls' stuff first. They're my first priority." Lafayette said, beginning to pick up toys and supplies from around the room.

Y/N watched Lafayette with warmth in her eyes. It was times like this when she thought she couldn't love him any more, she did.

•••

On December 21st, Eliza, Philip, Angelica, Hercules, Adrienne, Lafayette, Y/N, and the twins departed on from the Schuyler estate, and headed to the Schuyler's place upstate. The Washingtons had returned back to Virginia, and Alexander had insisted on staying in the city for work.

Other than the absence of Alexander, John, and Peggy, everyone's spirits were high. Especially Lafayette's.

Christmas Eve had rolled around, and while Y/N climbed out of bed, she knew something was off. She began wandering down the halls of the vacation home, it wasn't until she reached the kitchen that she noticed what was different.

Hanging in every hall and every corner was a colorful sprig of mistletoe. Y/N was certain it hadn't been there last night, that's why it came as such a shock to her. Who would get up so early just to hang some mistletoe?

Y/N's question was answered when she opened the door to the dining room.

On a chair, was her favorite Frenchman, looking rather busy hanging up mistletoe, and humming Christmas tunes while he did so.

"Lafayette?" Y/N called, grinning in amusement as she watched him hang the plant.

Lafayette turned to Y/N, a wide smile on his face. "Y/N! Good morning, ma ange. Do you like the decorations I've put up?"

"It's... a lot of mistletoe, Laf. Are you aware of the mistletoe tradition?" Y/N asked incredulously.

"Non..." Lafayette feigned ignorance. "I just like the way the plant looks, that's all. Is this tradition big in the Americas?"

"You're telling me you've never heard about mistletoe?" Y/N didn't buy his act for a second.

Lafayette shook his head. "You could come over here and explain it to me, ma ange."

"You're very clever, monsieur. Perhaps another time. I'm going to check on the girls, Angelica was watching them before I left." Y/N laughed, turning to leave the room.

"I know you can't resist me for long, Y/N. You'll be back." Lafayette smiled, continuing his mistletoe vandalism.

•••