Chap: 2.1

One day she was roaming happily in the office when she saw Max in the kitchen.He was a bit gloomy.It was not like him at all.He was making coffee.He did not smile at her this time.

Max broke up with Kathrine.

The news was everywhere.Every girl in the company knew it.At lunch, they were talking who could be his next girlfriend.

"What if his eyes landed on one of us?"

That was the question or maybe the underlying wish of girls.

Virginia Curtis

Everyone thought it was her chance.

"What me?"Virginia almost dropped the spoon from her hand.She was eating her lunch silently when every girl in the room talked about Mr. Maximus's new girlfriend.

"Oh no.it can't be me"

"Why not?"Everyone asked her, even Mrs. Hoover was surprised who was never interested in office rumors at all.

"Arghh, it's me, girls.I am not his type.I have no...class" She said and every woman looked at her head to toe.

"Ohh yes, when you came here, in the beginning, we thought you are a bimbo," Belinda said and giggled, she was nudged by Mona immediately and she hushed up.

"Yes, you are right.I am so not classy" Virginia said, looking down.

"You are a unique person, Virginia, broken but beautiful.You look dead cold and heartless but you are not dead really, you are lost.Change your wardrobe and things will be different" Hilary said and everyone nodded their heads.

"Leave it, I have no chance" Virginia scoffed.

"You do, you don't know how he sees you.We all can see it" Belinda said.

"Yes, we used to talk why he is marrying Kathrine when he is all over you?"Mona said.

"Even Kathrine knew it.It was written all over her that she hates his inclination towards you" Hilary said.

"Its good that they are not marrying.Mr. Maximus did not love her."Nina said.

"Guys, you are just delusional.He cares for me because I am some important person in his company, nothing else and maybe he worries about me, has some sympathy for me for my brokenness but nothing else is there" Virginia spoke.

Trust me I have tried.

She threw the leftovers in the bin and walked to her Hogwarts office.

That Sunday Belinda texted her.

Going shopping, wanna join?

Virginia replied "yes".

Alex was at her apartment and she had to left him there.

"I am sorry I need to go.My friends are calling me"She told him.

"You made friends?"He was surprised.

"Yes"

"Good," Alex said and then pulled his jeans over.They both walked to the elevator and went in opposite directions in the street without saying goodbye or anything.

Virginia bought many things.She was able to shop without bothering about price.She had very high hopes for her new look.She got a new haircut too.She walked into her office with new hopes.Every girl in the building smiled at her, nodding and approving.

He did not notice...at all.

Virginia was devastated.She sat on the toilet seat and wept for an hour, silently.

Whom am I kidding?

He is not interested

He will never be interested

All these women were making fun of me

Suddenly she felt so much hatred for everyone.She wiped her tears and went to her office.She worked with Mrs. Hoover.

"Virginia, I know you like him too but...please he is not the man who will fool around with women.He was not brought up like that.It's not going to be some dates and some fun with him.If he steps forward he will come with really strong intentions and you are ... you are not ready yet."

"He likes me?"Virginia asked her.

"That's not important"

"Tell me does he like me?Do you agree with girls too?"

Mrs. Hoover stared at her for a moment and then spoke.

"He is worried about you all the time and I can tell why.He does not know himself but everyone can see it"

Virginia felt good, suddenly she was flying in the air.

"But do you like yourself too?"Mrs. Hoover spoke and Virginia lost the blissful feeling suddenly.But she managed to ask.

"Why he did not notice me?"

"Are you kidding me?He just broke up and, um, he is a man, he never notices anything in dress"

Mrs. Hoover was right.Max was going through his break up and he recovered soon.He came back to his cheerful self.He started paying attention to her again and one day she felt he noticed her attire.She saw admiration in his eyes.