She came dressed in White.

The cover of this story is above👆 and this story is for the contest: 'Tis the season.'

'Are you just going to stand there or will you let me in?' She said as she gave me a fake smile.

'Hello to you too, Rosie. Mother is in the kitchen with aunt Zodie.' I said slowly as I continued to stare at her dress.

'She definitely did not come dressed for the occasion,' I silently murmured to myself - ' She never does.' I reminded myself as I remembered all the family events she decided to dress off code.

'Why isn't anyone here to welcome me?' She cried.

'Well, I am here.' I smirked as I made my way towards her.

'You don't count, Nina!' She screamed as she made her way to the kitchen.

'Well, that serves me right for being nice,' I mumbled to myself as I followed behind her.

'Rosie, what in the world are you wearing?' My mother asked with annoyance clear in her tone.

'Mom!' She squealed. 'This is what you call fashion these days.' She stated

'You are 26 years old, Rosie. You no longer a child, so start behaving like a good example to your 16 year old sister.' Mother said.

I'm turning 17 in a few weeks, mother.' I stated matter of factly.

'Shut up!' They both said in unison.

'Woah! I was just saying.' I reasoned.

They both ignored me. Mother called aunt Zodie, who was keeping herself busy with The gravy - making sure to stay out of the scolding drama.

'Zodie, look at what your niece has decided to wear on this special thanksgiving night.' Mother gestured towards a pouting Rosie.

'The invitation definitely said no white, and it was written in red.' I said - trying to mock her ability to keep to the rules.

'Shut up, right now, Nina!' She stared at me - ready to kill.

I placed my hands in surrender and walked out the room to answer the doorbell.

'Uncle John, aunt Sasha, welcome.' I said as I embraced them both into a warm hug before talking to their daughter, Maya.

'You won't believe who came dressed in white.' I told her as I closed the door behind me.

'Who?' She asked curiously.

'No,' she chuckled. 'She couldn't have, the invitation said 'no white' -right?' She asked in shock.

'The invitation sure did say 'no white', but you know Rosie, it's like she can't read - She says its 'fashion' -'

'And that's always her excuse,' we both said in sync, before laughing our brains out.

As we walked towards the launch where everyone seemed  to be comfortable - except for our lady in white, the door bell rang.

I sighed, aggravated to be purposely disturbed.

'Don't worry about it, why don't you go ahead and continue walking, and I'll open the door for you.' Maya said as she made her way back to the entrance.

'You are too good to me, thanks Maya.' I said and ushered myself to sit next to Rosie on the couch.

'We are waiting for the others to arrive than we can officially start thanksgiving dinner,' mother said.

'Good even-' aunt Tessa stopped herself.

'What in the world are you wearing, Rosie? Did you not read the invitation? - better yet, do you not know the family rule.' She began talking really fast; anger written all across her as specks of pink painted her face.

'You can't wear - ' before she could talk any further...

'... anything white if you are not getting married in that month.' The rest of the family finished aunt Tessa's sentence in unison - including myself.

I was enjoying this; being the one to not get in trouble this time.

Before anyone could talk any further, the doorbell rang.

I sat quietly, hoping that mother would not ask for me to open the door - being the youngest is the worse, I always have to the do the chores and drain my energy with opening the door.

'Nina, did you not hear the doorbell just ring?' The whole family was now waiting for me to walk out the room - just great, exactly what I needed.

After opening for granddad Peter and grandma Josie; the whole family was seated down at the long dinner table that was only used to host family events.

Everyone was located to their seat since I could remember - the seat that they would use until they were no longer alive.

Everyone kept giving Rosie silent glares, and that just made me envy her more. The way she got out of trouble so easily always gave me ideas of my own mischievous plans, but not once have I ever place them in action - mother is harder on me for some odd reason.

'Okay, farther, would you like to do the honours tonight by praying for the comestibles placed in front of us?' Mother asked granddad Peter, who seemed eager to oblige.

'We are here tonight to show how grateful we are to have each other. A strong family that loves and protects one another.

Please look after our baby girl, Nina - the future of this family.

Watch over Maya as she leaves her safe home to follow her dreams by going to study.

We thank Zodie, my daughter, for being a helpful hand when needed.

We are proud of Donna - the mother to two beautiful daughters that I am proud to call my grandkids.

I thank all my kids for being here tonight to show their respect and to be thankful to have a functional family that still looks after each other's needs.

My last request is to ask for help - Rosie. She needs to learn and to understand the rules of the family and abide by them - strictly.
Next time she wears a white dress, she will be enjoying her Thanksgiving in the kitchen - alone.
                   Amen.'
He finally said after a long mouthful prayer that the family was now accustomed to.

'Amen.' Everyone said in sync through snickering laughs except for Rosie.

'It's not funny!'she said through tears.

'This has been the worse holiday event that you could have ever hosted, mother - but not the food.' She said before storming out of the house.

~The End