[13] THICK AS THIEVES

.・。.・゜.・゜・。.

SHE'S TALKING AGAIN

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

xiii. coping

--------------------------------------------------------------

IT WAS THE WEEK AFTER THE CLUB DISBANDED. To say Veronica taken it harshly was an understatement.

She awoke. Sitting straight up from her bed and breathing heavily. It was the third time this night. The third time she woke up. She was at her wits end with it.

Giving up on sleep, she checked the time. Rubbing her eyes at the harsh red numbers. 4:38 in the morning.

In annoyance, she breathed in a large gasp of air before shutting her eyes tightly. Usually, when she had nights like this, she'd find herself at Richie Tozier's window. Throwing rocks up at it and waiting for him to wake up and let her into his room. Once in, he's smile lopsidedly before asking if she couldn't sleep. She'd explain and she'd find herself under his covers with his arms wrapped around her waist.

But, she couldn't do that. Not after the clubs demise. Not after their argument.

Bryce was asleep and Veronica shook her head at the thought of confiding in her brother. It made her uneasy to think about telling him about their argument. She'd have to lie about the reason - she couldn't say they went into Neibolt and found a killer clown! She'd only now, realize how much she needed the glasses wearing boy.

And so, that'd leave her with one choice. Stay alone and let her thoughts eat her alive. At this moment, it was Sonia Kaspbrak's comment.

'I can't believe the Mills of all families had a child like you! It's no wonder why they left,'

'Again, the reason why your parents left! It's only a matter of time your brother leaves too!'

Veronica thinks back to the words Sonia uttered and laughed harshly to herself.

'Was it true? Will Bryce leave? Oh gosh, no. He couldn't!'

She falls back into her bed and shuts her eyes in an attempt to find peace at last. But, it didn't work. The only thing on her mind was him.

She awoke to a shout through the house. Bryce, calling her name. He begins to walk up the stairs and stops in front of his little sisters door, knocking gently.

"Can I come in?" His voice muffled through the door. Veronica, who laid on her bed rolled over while groaning.

"I guess!" She replies, rolling her eyes.

Bruce turns the knob and proceeds to enter the room. He looks at her, shaking his head while laughing. His hair flopping in front of his eyes.

"Get up!" He laughs out, walking over and slapping her arm.

"Why? I'm staying home today. It's not like I have anyone to hang out with," Veronica says the last part under her breath and with some shred of luck, Bryce caught her words. Looking at her questioningly, he sits down next to her on the bed.

"What do you mean?" He asks, tilting his head in curiosity.

"What do I mean about what?" She asks, playing innocent, not liking the tension which had built up.

"Why don't you have anyone to hang out with?" He presses, concerned for his sister. She lets out a sigh. Wishing she wasn't such a burden.

Considering Bryce was relatively older than herself, he was mostly busy with his own problems like university and trying to make ends meet. To put on top of that he has to take care of his thirteen year old motor-mouthed sister who seems to find trouble more than it finds her, he did care a lot.

She opens her mouth to speak, spilling out the details of the argument between the club. Altering the reason, not wanting to explain Neibolt and the clown and the investigation the club had. She explains how her and Richie disagreed. Ending with her fist meeting his glasses-clad face.

Bryce frowns all throughout the story. Watching as his baby sister heave in short breaths when she gets to any part including Richie. He knew that Veronica and Richie were best friends. But, he also knew that they would most likely be more than that in the future.

Watching his sister struggle to speak of the disagreement with Richie just seemed to set it in stone.

By the end of the explanation, Veronica was rubbing her eyes from tears which had fell.

"I-I-I don't know why I did that, Bryce!" She sputters out, her tears hitting the blue blanket she had over her legs.

Bryce inhales, putting a comforting arm around Veronica and rubs her back. He was never good with comforting people. But, for Christ's sake! This was his sister. He couldn't leave her like this.

After their parents abandoned them, he took on the role of parenthood in his late teens. A job not many could say they had. He was only eighteen, already thinking of himself as a parent. It was catastrophic.

"It's alright, V. It's okay. It's you and Richie! You guys always solve your arguments. Remember that time you guys fought in seventh grade? You threw a rock at him cause you were so angry, yeah? You guys didn't talk for weeks. What did you argue about that time? I don't even remember. But, I do remember you guys making up and acting as if nothing happened, everything went back to normal. It'll be the same for this one too, okay? Don't worry yourself about it," He speaks, looking to the ceiling and frowning.

"Y-You think so?" She asks, looking at her brother with glossy eyes. He nodded.

"I know you guys will. You always do," Bryce responds. He wasn't surprised at the fact that they got into an argument. Despite Veronica and Richie's similarities they still were the type to butt heads at times. He was merely shocked at the severity of it all. An argument leaving his tough as nails sister crying? It seemed unlikely! Almost like a different universe! Veronica only cried when she was hurt physically. Or when she has a bad day of remembering their parents.

But, alas. This was reality. Sitting in his little sisters bedroom, holding her crying figure while rubbing the temple of his nose. Reminiscing on what it was like to have their parents care for them. To actually have barely any responsibilities. To still be a kid. He was only eighteen for heavens sake! He shouldn't be thrown into parenthood already! Quickly, he snapped back into reality, blinking furiously and silently scolding himself for even thinking of them. Of even daring to miss them.

They abandoned them.

He wasn't allowed to miss them. He had to be strong. For Veronica's sake. Because heaven knows, if Veronica were to see Bryce weak, she'd assume she was a burden. And, Bryce never, ever wanted her to feel that way.

Bryce loved his sister, despite their silly arguments and constant bickering. Veronica was his baby sister. He was the only family she had who really cared for her. He'd never want her to believe she was alone in this world.

"It'll smooth over. Alright, V? It will. I promise. Richie and you are thick as thieves. I could never imagine you two apart," Bryce finalizes as Veronica nods. He knew. Bryce knew that despite Veronica's attempts to deny it. To hide it. To keep it under wraps. That she had feelings for Richie Tozier. More than best friend feelings to be exact. He was simply awaiting the day she finally admitted to herself.