Too Much Is Never Enough

Walking into the fancy venue brought goosebumps to Norma's pale and feathery skin. She's never been inside a jewelry store, let alone her reason being getting her husband a wedding band. When she eloped with Sam he was never man enough to get her one. The moment Alex, the person that married her because she needed insurance gave her one, she knew that his motive was completely different from hers.

He loved her.

His hand placed so lovingly on her lower back like always easing her nerves. She delicately moves her right arm around his lower waist, keeping him close to her body.

"They have different ones and a whole lot of options to choose from," he tells her gently, his eyes scanning the display cases. "Do you have an idea of which one you'd like?"

He's letting her pick his ring like a true gentleman.

"Um..." she bites her lower lip, "Which one would you like?"

He looks at her almost instantly, noticing her nerves. "You're picking my ring. I'll love your final selection."

"You're not helping me pick one?"

"Nope."

"That's not fair," she said, "It'll be hard."

He grinned, looking pleased with the fact that she's so nervous and anxious about picking the right ring for him. There wasn't anything more precious. He sees her biting her lower lip shyly, her eyes wandering back from one ring to the other.

"Are you nervous?"

She looks back at him, "Huh?"

He steps closer, his hand never leaving her lower back. Leaning in moderately, he kisses her forehead.

"You're so cute."

"Don't make fun of me," she whispered, leaning her hand on his chest. Her eyes finding his. "I am nervous."

He grabs her chin gently, "Why?"

"I've never done this before..."

Her tone filled his stomach with more than just butterflies. The deep blue in her eyes instantly swallowing him whole in one loving stare.

"Done what?"

Her eyebrows furrowed almost immediately, her eyes wandered around the room, the people around her suddenly making her feel asphyxiated.

"Done what, baby?" he asked again, bringing her attention back to him by placing his strong hand under her chin.

"I've never been in a store this fancy getting my husband a wedding ring. I didn't know it was going to make me feel like this."

"How is it making you feel?" his hand roaming to the back of her neck.

"I don't know, overwhelmed? I just want to cry."

"Do—do you want to go? We can postpone this if you'd like?" his tone soothe as usual. Always prioritizing her needs.

"No, no, no," she pleaded, "No, I don't want to go. I don't—," she sighed. "I'm just happy."

He caressed her cheek, "Promise? I don't want you to feel uncomfortable."

"I promise. It's just... This is new to me, and I don't know how to handle it."

"I hear ya'," his lips brushing the little hairs sticking out near her hairline. "I felt the same way. I mean, I didn't go to the store to buy you yours but..." he grabs her left hand, caressing with his thumb what used to be his mom's ring. "I felt the same way, it's an indescribable feeling."