Night Terrors

Nightmares were a part of Norma. A part of her life. She got them so often when she was a little girl that she always thought she'd get used to them. At some point back then they were her escape. Norma never knew which one was her true nightmare, the horrific dream that she had in her sleep or the dissatisfied reality that awaited her when her eyes would flutter open against her will.

The ordeal changed meaning, the repetitive dreams compelling her to remember everything she's been trying so hard to diminish from her thoughts. Always tormented by her own mind.

And tonight was no different.

4:11 am and Alex is wide awake. His sleep is interrupted by Norma's hasty movements. Deep groans escaping her throat every now and then. He knows the process, waiting until she wakes up on her own even though that the need of interrupting her horrible dream is bigger than him. The way her eyebrows furrow give him anxiety. He can't take it anymore.

"Shhh," he leans his weight on his right elbow, pulling down the covers from her torso. "It's all a dream."

Norma's forehead is full of sweat, what she is mumbling Alex is not to recognize. But he knew what her dream was about, it's not the first time this happens. It's not the first time that her nightmares wake him up in the middle of the night.

"Norma?" Even though is a bold move, he touches her, gently running his hand through every blonde lock. Her eyes flutter open instantly.

She's hyperventilating, her chest rising at a fast speed, her knuckles turning white as she grasps forcefully the blanket that Alex had pulled down from her now heated body.

"It's okay, you're okay," he assures her.

It takes her a few seconds until she makes eye contact with him. Her eyes filled with unshed tears. The same ones that will escape freely in a few seconds.

"I'm right here," he holds her. She buries her face in the crook of his neck, sobbing uncontrollably. She's still shaking, the same vulnerable way her body responded when she found out what Norman did to her that night at the hospital.

"I'm right here, honey," he repeats, his hand holding her head passively. "It's all a dream, you're right here with me."

Her hands clutching onto his shoulders like she had no other escape. She wanted to feel him close, to reassure her that indeed it was all a dream.

"Don't―," she tried to speak but her words were captive in the back of her throat.

"No," he whispered, well aware of what she tried to say. "I'm not going to let you go. I'm not. I'm right here, okay? I'm not letting you go."

The way she was being cradled in his arms made her feel safe. Protected. The same protection that he's offered her since the beginning.

"You're okay, my sweet angel."

Her sobs were now silent, her fragile body hardly shaking but her grip tighter as ever around him. He kept kissing her head, telling her that she was okay, that he was with her, and like always, that seemed to calm her down. She takes the deep breath that he's been waiting for, the one that tells him that her crying has stopped, finding her releasing the pressure of her grip, letting her body fall back against the bed as she is finally able to rest her head back on her pillow.

Alex keeps his upper body raised, leaning on both elbows as she assembles herself back in the position she was in. This time, facing him.

"Do you wanna talk about it?" he whispers, spotting easily her red nose and puffy eyes. His hand brushes the hair off her face and he slowly places it behind her ear.