Chapter 21

~ PANDORA

"The opening's about twenty yards ahead," Pandora whispered. She stopped walking forwards and the others followed her lead. "It curves sharply to the left and is directly behind her. From what I saw, it seems wide enough for you to fly through, Aurora."

"Hopefully we can maintain the element of surprise and kill her before the army can attack," Luxa whispered back.

"Just in case," Pandora countered, "Pan and I can follow you. He can hold back the army. All you'd need to focus on is the queen."

Aurora nodded. "That gives me a bit more peace of mind," she agreed. "To have someone watching our backs."

Luxa nodded. Her lips were pressed tightly together. Pandora had never seen her look nervous before. Was this it? Was she nervous?

"Luxa," Aurora said to her bond. "What is the matter?"

Regalia's queen looked at the scouts. "Could we have a moment, please?"

Matthias nodded. "Of course, your majesty," Heath said courteously. They both backed up further away from the opening.

Luxa waited a moment and then looked at Pan. "You too, Pan. If you don't mind."

"I don't at all," Pan whispered back, quietly fluttering backwards to join the scouts.

"You're nervous, aren't you?" Pandora asked.

"I... I," Luxa stammered. "Aurora. We haven't practiced The Coiler in a long time. I don't know..." Luxa sighed. "Gregor defeated the Bane. Without much training at all. But he did not need training. He was a rager. What chance do Aurora and I stand against a similar opponent? Greater, even. The queen can control an army without even being on the battlefield."

"Are you kidding me right now?" Pandora furrowed her brow and jutted her head forward. "You're the Queen of Regalia!" Pandora motioned towards Luxa with both hands outstretched. "You have more courage in your little finger than I do in my entire body. Half of the things you do are purely acts of sheer will! You can do anything you set your mind to. You've been at the forefront of two wars, and you're only eighteen for God's sake! You're one of the greatest women I've ever known... and what? You're comparing yourself to some man who was born with a gift? Or curse? Whatever he thinks it is right now?" Pandora stopped ranting and took a deep breath. She was glad her voice stayed quiet.

"She is right, you know," Aurora said gently. "You never get flustered, Luxa. Take a deep breath. If things don't fall into place the first time, we always find a way to make it work."

"You're right. I'm not sure why I am overthinking," Luxa said. She took a deep breath and pinched the bridge of her nose with her fingers. "I used to wake up and tell myself each day that it might be my last. And when I went to bed, I would be happy that I could cheat death another time. Everything is changing now. I don't think like that anymore."

Pandora perked up as if a lightbulb lit up above her head. "I've got something to add to the plan." Carefully and quietly, Pandora swung the backpack off one of her shoulders, unzipped it, and rifled around for the square bottle.

"What is it?" Luxa asked her.

"It's a little thing I'd like to call 'liquid death.' It's actually lighter fluid, but you know..."

"You'll pour that on her?" Aurora asked.

Pandora nodded. She pulled out the box of matches and put them in her back pocket. "Maybe it'll just slow her down, but I know it'll help kill her at least."