Chapter Three

"Welcome to Sissy's, home of the world's best penne vodka, can I get you started with something to drink?" I smiled broadly at my last table of the night, waiting anxiously for them to order so I could get home.

"We'll have four waters I think," said the older woman, nodding to, presumably, her husband and two sons.

"Coming right up!" I said, scribbling on my pad and making my way over to the drink dispenser.

"Honey, your shift ended ten minute ago, what are you still doing here?" my mom asked, sliding the waters across the counter toward me.

"Stacey needed an extra hand, I'm just going to deliver these and then head home to get ready for Scarlett's party later," I said.

"Okay, but be careful tonight. Love you," she called as I whisked the waters over to the family and then quickly prepared to head to my car. I could tell I would need a shower before tonight, as salmon was one of the dinner specials. Sighing, I started the engine and made my way home.

Forty-five minutes later, it was eleven o'clock and I was driving frantically over to Scarlett's' house. I was half an hour late, as usual. When I pulled up, the driveway was already littered with cars, and music was coming from the backyard. I cut the engine and rushed toward the kitchen, where I knew Scarlett and Gwen would be.

"Where have you been?" Gwen asked, sipping her drink slowly as I rushed in.

"There was a huge crowd tonight and then I had to shower and everything," I explained, pouring myself a drink of my own.

"Well, I hate to break it to you, but someone is here that shouldn't be," said Gwen worriedly. I followed her gaze out the kitchen window and noticed two very attractive men standing awkwardly in the middle of the yard, each holding a plastic cup. I almost spat out my drink.

"Oh god, I forgot to tell you guys ..." I said, trailing off. Gwen and Scarlett looked over at me, eyes ablaze with a questioning stare.

"Exactly what did you forget to tell us? Please don't tell me you invited those creepy assholes to the party?" said Gwen, glaring at me.

"Well ... see ... he came to talk to me at the beach today while you guys were swimming and sleeping, and um, in a moment of obvious negligence, and the utmost curiosity, I invited him here to talk tonight," I tried to explain while nervously sipping my drink. The girls looked skeptically at me.

"You really want to see what he's about?" said Scarlett, her eyes softening.

"I don't know, the things he says are crazy but what if there's something to it? When he touched my shoulder today I felt the most insane sparks, and, 'mate' or not, I am very curious to see what this all means," I said wearily. Gwen still eyed me skeptically, but Scarlett seemed to understand, at least a little.

"We'll be watching you and him. If he does anything stupid, we're calling the police, or escorting him out of here ourselves," Gwen said.

"I know, I told him that, of course," I replied. Gwen softened a bit and turned back to the window.

"He's certainly handsome at least, even if he is a huge nutcase," she relented. I smiled a bit and downed the rest of my drink, walking toward the back door.

"Be careful," warned Gwen, worry in her eyes.

"I will be," I said confidently. I strode out the door before they could change their minds and stop me, and made my way over to the two men.

"Hey, Ezra" I said, staring directly into his eyes. He looked up quickly, eyes wide, clearly a bit taken aback.

"It's Ez," he said quietly.