Chapter Fourteen

When we were finished with each other, we laid together in Ezra's bed, his arms encircling my body, his lips whispering secrets and sweet nothings in my ear. I giggled and kissed every inch of his face, wondering if this was what paradise felt like.

"I should get dressed and find Scarlett, she'll be wondering where I am," I said, though I made no effort to move.

"Scarlett can wait," he said, tightening his hold on me. I giggled and kissed his nose softly.

"Ezra..." I began, but he groaned.

"Poppy, please just let me enjoy this. I don't want to argue with you. I just want to feel you in my arms and relish in the afterglow," he begged.

I turned my body so that my eyes met his and lifted my hand to stroke his cheek.

"Ezra, please, please, let me go back," I whispered softly. I felt his muscles tense around me.

"Poppy, I just, I can't... if I ever lost you I don't know what I would do," he said softly. I felt a tear roll down my cheek as I slowly realized that my dreams were shattered.

"You can finish it up online if you want, or transfer to the local university here and commute to class," he said desperately.

All I could do was bury my head in his chest and sob. As much as I liked being with him, Ezra was asking me to give up everything I had worked for over the past twenty-one years. I couldn't help but feel cheated.

"I'm sorry," he said quietly, stroking my hair.

"I know, but I need some time to think and accept this," I said, slowly rising from the bed. He tried to pull me back down, but when I got up again, he relented. I shrugged back into my clothes and stood up off the bed, walking silently to the door.

"Will you be down for dinner at least?" he asked.

I turned back and gave him a small shrug before opening the door and moving quickly down the halls toward my bedroom on the floor below. When I entered the room I immediately flung myself onto the bed and let my sobs consume me. I heard my phone buzz over and over, undoubtedly with calls from Scarlett and Ezra, but I let them go to voicemail while I wept.

After an hour I finally forced myself into an upright position. It was time to be serious and make some difficult decisions. Ezra was clearly not budging on this issue, and now it was time for me to decide if I could live with him, or if it was time to run away.

I grabbed a notebook off the nightstand and began quickly fleshing out a pros and cons list of my two choices. I was almost done when I was again overwhelmed by the sudden urge to hurl.

I raced into the bathroom and stooped over the toilet, dry heaving into the bowl. When I was finished I sat against the wall with my head in my hands. How could I have gotten sick so quickly? I didn't feel anything unusual, just a sudden urge to vomit every once in a while. What was happening?

Realization dawned on me slower than I would have liked to admit.

I hadn't gotten my period in the last six weeks. I'd had sex with Ezra before I'd left for school. I was vomiting all the time and he had told me I was glowing. GLOWING.

I stumbled toward the bed and grabbed my phone. I needed Scarlett and Gwen ASAP. Texting into a group chat, I desperately asked Scarlett to bring a test to my room. She compiled quickly and despite her silence, I knew Gwen was at least aware of the situation.