Chapter Twenty-One

Throughout the afternoon, Lana and I met with a number of pregnant women who were seeking to find the sex of their children. Others requested certain teas to aid them, and some simply wanted to say hello to Lana.

For her part, Lana was extremely comfortable here. She gave hugs and made small talk with more vigor than I had ever seen.

When the sky began to show the first signs of darkness, Lana closed up her makeshift shop and announced it was time to prepare for dinner.

In Lana's pack, it was customary to dress up for dinner. Nothing formal, but certainly no jeans and T-shirts, as had been accepted elsewhere.

I slipped into a little yellow sundress and put mascara on my eyelashes for the first time in months. When I came down the stairs in Lana's house, Ruth oohed and aahed at me.

"You both just look divine!" she cried, throwing up her hands.

We walked over to the packhouse around 7. There were many people proceeding there with us, talking and laughing. Over the past few months, I had grown to love the atmosphere in the pack just before dinner.

As we neared the packhouse, the baby began kicking, increasing her vigor with every step I took. It was bordering on painful.

I moved to grab Lana to ask her advice, but somehow, the crowd had swallowed her up. I entered the house and moved with the group toward the dining room, almost doubling over in pain.

Desperately, I scanned the room to find Lana. Finally, I spotted her in the corner of the room, gazing starry-eyed up at a large man that I had not seen around the grounds that day.

The baby gave a fierce kick and I yelped in pain. Some of the passersby glanced over, but I did my best to remain focused on getting to Lana.

Just as I neared her, I felt sparks erupt on my arm. Sparks that only one person had ever made me feel. Sparks that ignited my whole body, lighting a fire from the top of my head to the tips of my toes.

I looked up and there he was. His face showed a scraggly beard and there were dark circles under his eyes, but other than that, he looked the same as when I'd left him months ago.

"Poppy?" he whispered.

I nodded and kept his gaze until his eyes began to sweep my finger, taking in all of me. When his eyes settled on my stomach, he released my arm and stumbled backward.

He stared at me intently, waiting for me to say something.

"Surprise?" I offered weakly. His gaze grew harder.

So many emotions swirled in my head. I had certainly not anticipated this. What happened next? What did I say?

I felt a hand on my shoulder and turned around to find Lana. Ezra stayed rooted in place.

"Come, let's find you somewhere private where you can talk," she said, leading me away from the crowded dining room. Ezra was hot on my heels.

Lana guided me down a long corridor until we arrived in a small room which appeared to be used primarily for storage. She ushered the two of us inside and shut the door as she left.

Alone with Ezra, I allowed myself to meet his gaze.

More than anything, he looked hurt.

"I don't know what to say," he said simply. I walked to the empty chair next to him and sat down. He leaned himself against the wall and slid down until he was seated on the floor next to me.